If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Monday 19 March 2012

Dealing with Five

You know that weird person who stands at the tomato section of the supermarket, counting the tomatoes in the packet?  Well, that's me.  I like the number 6 for lunches - 6 small tomatoes, 6 snow peas.  I don't go so far as to count baby spinach leaves, or the number of cuts in the avocado, or the number of pieces of meat (if it's a meat day).

At the start of the school year, I tried the 'Romatherapy' variety (like mini Roma tomatoes).  The first couple of weeks, each packet had 12 tomatoes - perfect.  Six for each day.  Not knowing if this was a coincidence, I started counting the number of tomatoes in each packet before I put one in my basket.  And a good thing, too - the third (and every subsequent) week, I had to try a few packets of 13 before I found a 12.  Today, I thought I'd picked one with 12.  Obviously, I can't count.  Making tomorrow's lunch this evening, I found I had 15.  Agh!

I honestly felt a dilemma, and more than a moment of indecision.  Should I still use 6 tomatoes but have 3 leftover for Thursday - which would then require a meal with only 3 tomatoes?  That didn't seem right, so I settled for 5.  This feels wrong.  Only 5 tomatoes means only 5 snow peas, too.  No way I could have 5 of one and 6 of the other. 

I'm sure I won't really notice this tomorrow, especially as I will be teaching from 7:30 am - 5 pm without any breaks, so meal time will be during student time as well.  Fingers crossed I don't stress out over only having 5 tomatoes.  Yes.  I'm weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment