If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Thursday 13 December 2012

Caramelised Pineapple Tart

One of the perks of having food home delivered, is the free magazine that accompanies deliveries every so often.  Recently, the Aussie Farmers magazine had a recipe for this Caramelised Pineapple Tart... and I just happened to have a pineapple sitting temptingly in the fruit bowl.  I couldn't resist.  This was my first attempt at this sort of recipe, so a few naughty words might have escaped.  This was also my first time using my frying pan in the oven.  One of the reasons I bought this pan was for its oven capabilities, but I was still a bit nervous as I put it in. 

Ingredients:
165g (3/4 cup) caster sugar
2 teaspoons softened unsalted butter
1/2 pineapple, peeled
2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
vanilla bean ice cream, to serve (I used natural yoghurt, which was a great balance to the all-out sweetness of the tart)

Method:
Preheat the oven to 210C.
Put the sugar and butter in an ovenproof frying pan and set over moderate heat.  Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes until well caramelised.  Remove from the heat.
Slice the pineapple into 5mm thick pieces and remove the core.  Arrange the pineapple pieces decoratively on the caramel, then return the pan to the heat and cook for 3 minutes.

Place the pastry sheets on top of one another and roll out to form a 26cm square.  Trim off the corners to shape into a circle, and drape over the pineapple.  Tuck in the edge, then bake for 15 minutes or until the pastry has risen.  Reduce the oven temperature to 170C and bake for a further 15 minutes until the pastry is crisp.

Invert the tart onto a plate, then cut into slices and serve with ice cream (or yoghurt).

The first time I ate this, I found it incredibly sweet - like, sugar-coma-inducing levels of sweet.  I don't know if it was my sweet-tolerance increasing, or some sort of chemistry over the course of the next few days, but the next indulgences were not as tooth-hurtingly sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment