If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Friday 15 March 2013

Fig Tree Pocket

Knowing what my schedule is like for the rest of March, I knew that either today or tomorrow would have to be my day to visit a New Place in Brisbane.  On my way home from rehearsal last night, I had the light bulb moment of "duh - go somewhere new for breakfast".  I did my Google Maps pan around thing again, saw a whole lot of green next to the river in Fig Tree Pocket, and felt that I would check it out.  No eating establishments showed themselves on the map, so I had breakfast at home then headed out.

Like the visit to the Toowong Cemetery, it seemed incredible that I had lived so close to this place and neglected to visit a whole suburb.  It was like visiting the country, very quiet, and green, complete with paddocks and horses.
My original thought had been to visit Mandalay Park, which looked like it ran along the river in a strip.  Maps can be deceptive.  I could have continued to walk along the grassy bit, through some trees, ignoring the yapping dog of the next house...and the one after that... and no doubt the one after that... But I'm not a fan of walking through what feels like other people's gardens.  So after appreciating the serenity for a bit, resisting the urge to play on the play equipment (there were other people around), I walked down a nearby street and got to a larger park, Biambi Yambi Park. 
This would have been more fun if I was aged under 10 and wearing appropriate shoes - great big grassy spaces, play equipment, and climbable trees. 
There was a butterfly catcher at work by some long grass that bordered a lagoon, and many water birds swimming and flying and trying to walk on water.  Another lovely serene spot.
This was such a nice start to my Friday.  Getting close to nature, listening to the birds, and just being.

No comments:

Post a Comment