If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Sunday 22 July 2012

Expression of Gratitude

By 'Expression of Gratitude' I don't mean compliments - although they do come in the same category for my brain.  I take things as they are, and really have to think about saying 'well done' or 'thank you' or 'nice outfit'.  With practice, I am getting better at compliments.  I am also improving, I think, at saying thank you.  But expression of gratitude, on a deeper level, is uncharted territory for me.

I know that 'counting your blessings' is a good mood-booster (lots of 'o's in those three words).  I also know that an expression of gratitude is a valuable thing to receive.  When I receive a thank you for something I just do, it is such a delight - and sometimes, as much a blessing for me as it is for the person saying thank you. 

Recently, I have been feeling especially thankful.  A few things prompted me to write a letter to the people at the heart of things.  Although I'd been thinking about this letter frequently, I found it exceptionally hard to write.  I'm still not convinced it's the best it could be so I haven't yet sent it - but almost.  It is more for me than for them (selfish, I know, but some things need to be done), for me to say, I'm not just here because I haven't found a reason to go, but I'm here because I want to be here. 

This is not something I can do too often, but I feel it is an important skill to have in my repertoire.

Today's photo:

My dad had a roast beetroot and feta salad for lunch.  Once finished, I found the beetroot juice pattern left on the plate to be particularly appealing.

No comments:

Post a Comment