If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Sunday 30 December 2012

Ahmet's Turkish Restaurant

Turkish food is high on my list of preferences.  I discovered this relatively late in life - my parents lived for a time not too far from a predominantly Turkish area of Sydney, and once I discovered a particular restaurant it became a treat every visit.  However, last night was the first time I visited Ahmet's at South Bank.  I met up with a couple of friends for a late afternoon coffee, which turned into dinner.  A wealth of choices, and this was our pick.  Not disappointed.

One thing I love about Turkish restaurants (apart from the food) is the decor.  Great throws, rugs, cushions, trinkets... So visually interesting.

Now, I hope you're proud of me - instead of choosing a casserole-type dish (as I normally would), I opted for a salad (chicken and almond) from the list of entrees.  It was massive.  So massive, in fact, that I left what felt like half the salad.  And it didn't feel all that authentic as it contained mayonnaise.  That said, it was delicious.  Really tender chicken, with lovely flavour, and a nice balance with the almonds and salad bits.  Tempted to try this at home.

An aspect of Ahmet's that you wouldn't find at the place in Sydney - belly dancing on Friday and Saturday nights.  This is something I don't think I've experienced before.  Now, I rather like watching dancing, and am enthusiastic about cultural-type activities... However, I found having a belly dancer shaking her torso in my face rather confronting.  Who would have thought.  Plus, the noise level went up so much we resorted to typing on our phones to communicate.  The toddlers trying to join in though - pretty cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment