If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Monday 10 December 2012

The Virgin of Guadalupe

Because I do music, I'm part of a mariachi band.  Because I'm part of the mariachi band, I am finding out all the Latin American festivals.  Did you know, for example, that Mexico alone has 3 Independence Days?  Yesterday, we were part of the (drum roll) Celebracion de la Virgen de Guadalupe. 

The food was pretty amazing - and the aromas...wow...  But the biggest perk for me yesterday was being part of a big saint's day feast-type thing.  I've seen and read about these - a huge community celebration, parading a picture of the saint, a big high mass - and I've secretly wanted to witness one of these for years. 

I go to St John's cathedral, which is high church Anglican - so, not all that different from a catholic mass.  Despite yesterday's proceedings being entirely in Spanish, I could follow what was happening.  I also feel a little more fluent in Spanish.  And, music being the universal language of mankind and all, I could sing along and understand pretty much what I was singing.  I do enjoy seeing all the national dress for different countries, too - and a little kid not much more than knee-high wearing national dress including a sombrero is the peak of cuteness.

For lunch I had a papusa (from El Salvador) - like a savoury pancake filled with beans and cheese, with coleslaw and salsa on top.  Just right for pre-performance sustenance.

No comments:

Post a Comment