If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Thursday 10 January 2013

Ice Blocks

It's hot.  If you're reading this from somewhere else in the world, Australia is in a bit of a heatwave right now.  And we're looking at another next week.  I like summer, but... For starters, bushfires are scary, and we are seeing so much of the country affected.  People seem to act with less thought.  Anything useful has to be done at either end of the day, and just remembering to keep up the fluid intake is an effort.  Honestly, I've done hardly anything useful the last couple of days.  (Some things, and I'm about to tackle a Task, but added up it doesn't seem like much). 

On Tuesday evening, there were warnings for Queensland that Wednesday would be a scorcher.  I decided I would make ice blocks.  Not that it ended up being that hot - in fact, today feels hotter - but it's nice to know that if I need to freeze my brain, I have that option.

Admittedly, this is not my first time making ice blocks.  I bought the ice block mould a couple of summers ago, and made yoghurt and berry frozen things then.  Once.  Unsuccessfully.  Although I didn't think you could stuff up something so simple, I guess I was impatient and the removal of the ice blocks was just too much effort.  I was determined to do a proper job this time, and actually boil water, place in a smallish receptacle, and sit the ice block inside until ready to come out.

I also decided to make different flavours.  This came about because I was thinking about flavours, and realised the bag of kiwi fruit would do beautifully, and wouldn't lemonade be a great addition?  Then a friend said you have to have banana (3 squishy bananas available), and I found some pureed berries in the freezer.  So, I have 4 flavours of ice block: yoghurt and berry, lemonade and kiwi fruit, lemonade and berry, and yoghurt and banana.

None were consumed yesterday (thanks to an air conditioned friend - oops - friend with air conditioning... and a mariachi meeting/rehearsal), but today I had one at lunch.  Yoghurt and berry - which could do with a touch of honey in the mix.  The lemonade mixes had done what I thought might possibly happen, and expanded a bit more than the holders allowed.  Thankfully not exploding all over the freezer, though.

And I was really good, boiled some water, used the metal milk jug from the coffee machine, and stuck the ice block in there for a little bit. 

Longer than I wanted, but I was determined. 

No comments:

Post a Comment