If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Wednesday 2 January 2013

In Retrospect - Fourth Quarter

Hmm, what's happened in the last 3 months?  On the one hand, heaps... But on the other, it feels like not a huge deal.  Here I will say that I don't share my whole life on this blog.  I am a very private person (believe it or not); there are some things that have changed, or that I have changed, that I won't share with anyone, or maybe just those closest to me; and there are things that I just won't put on the internet, especially when there are readers of this blog with whom I am not acquainted (I think - there are some diverse countries represented in the stats, and I don't think I know anyone right now in Russia, or Latvia, or Belgium...)  So, the changes that I'm prepared to acknowledge to potential strangers:

It seems I've cooked lots.  And more healthy in the treats department.  Right now, I know I really need to restock my kitchen with good fats, instead of indulging in all the Christmas treats that just keep appearing.  I've enjoyed trying new foods, and having others cook for me (really, drool...)  And the recent additions to the recipe book collection have kick-started the creativity and 'newness' in the kitchen.  Thank goodness.

Musically, it's been an interesting few months.  I've listened to new music, and listened differently; I've also performed new music, and done some viola performing.

There have been a few new physical activities - boxing, and running up the local mountain, and running the Melbourne half marathon - and just looking at this is making me want to do stuff.  Or at least make some concrete goals other than the singular goal I've already made (exciting!).  But I'm thinking I need something else new in this department (suggestions welcome).

I haven't watched that many movies (and I still have a review pending), but I've definitely noticed a change over the course of this year in how I watch movies.  When I was growing up, others in my family would watch a movie and be able to pick it to pieces afterwards (or, in some cases, during).  I was - and still am - able to suspend disbelief quite readily.  Plot-lines and predictability were not really issues for me.  But I'm getting better at assessing acting ability; I look more carefully at plots (and their holes); and I've noticed a definite classification system happening in my brain.  More on that in future, I think.

The biggest thing for me in these last few weeks, though, has been in my creative side.  I am loving Instagram.  Having different filters, so you can change the mood of a shot, or highlight a quality of the original, is a perk I hadn't expected to appreciate.  And the blur options can alter the whole perspective of a shot.  Aside from the creative options, though, there is the social side.  Connecting with total strangers through art is something I started experiencing with Red Bubble.  But sometimes, we can be connected through something more than a photo - for example, there are some shots from Christmas at the cathedral, and I know that I was in the place at the same time (and, in some cases, I've worked out who the other person is).  After a bit of testing the water, I decided to keep Instagram separate from Facebook, so rarely share my Instagram photos on Facebook. 

Now, it's the end of a year, so my New Year's resolution is over.  I thought a bit about whether to continue blogging, and decided to keep going, at least for now.  For starters, I have a few backlogged, and a few more movies to watch.  Slightly more importantly though, is that I can feel when I'm enjoying living in a rut - and when I need to crawl back out of it.  And this blog is great for that.  There have been several occasions this year when I've wanted to keep that cloak of familiarity nice and close around me, but having a blog has forced me to do at least one thing new. 

No comments:

Post a Comment