If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Sunday 6 January 2013

Pasta with Courgettes

Even though I made the Eggs in Purgatory on New Year's Day, that was not my first Nigella recipe.  My first was this, the Pasta with Courgettes, that I made a few days after Christmas.  I had exactly the right amount of zucchini.  And, for me, it will be zucchini... Nigella says she would feel self-conscious calling them zucchini outside of North America or Italy, but they've always been that to me here Down Under.  She also warns that this is a recipe for the palate, not for a photo.  I agree...  Meanwhile, I found this wine and couldn't not buy it - how cool is this label?!  (Yes, I go for label more than anything else).

Ingredients:
200g casarecce pasta (or penne or farfalle)
salt for pasta water, to taste
2x15mL tablespoons garlic oil
4 spring onions, finely sliced
500g zucchini (preferably organic), finely diced
60mL dry white wine or vermouth
small bunch fresh parsley, chopped (I saw how much was needed and picked accordingly from the garden)
3x15mL tablespoons grated Parmesan, plus more (optional - but as if you wouldn't) for sprinkling
salt and pepper, to taste
2 teaspoons unsalted butter

Method:
Put a pan of water on for the pasta, salting generously (or to taste) when it comes to the boil, then add the casarecce - cooking as per packet instructions, though tasting a couple of minutes before they're meant to be ready - and get on with the sauce.
Put the garlic oil and chopped spring onions in a heavy-based pan (that comes with a lid) on medium heat and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
Add the diced zucchini and cook for 5 minutes, stirring every now and again.
Add the wine or vermouth, letting it bubble up, followed by 2 tablespoons of the chopped parsley, salt to taste, then lower the heat, cover with the lid and cook for a further 5 minutes, by which time the zucchini should be gorgeously tender.
Tip the drained pasta back into its pan, add the braised zucchini, or add the pasta to the pan of zucchini, along with 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan and 4 tablespoons of pasta-cooking liquid.  Combine thoroughly and taste to see if you wish to add more cheese or salt or pepper or, indeed, cooking liquid, then stir in the butter and most of the remaining parsley and divide between 2 warmed bowls, sprinkling with the rest of the parsley, and more Parmesan if wished, on serving.
 I added some poached chicken (my new favourite method) so that there was some protein involved.  Now, this is listed as serving 2.  Admittedly, I add a protein serving each time.  So far, I've had it with chicken, and with feta, and with roo, and with cheese, and I still have probably 2 serves to go.  This makes a lot.  Yummy though.

No comments:

Post a Comment