If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Sunday 20 January 2013

Melbourne Trip #4, Part 2

Thursday morning (after I had rather a lovely sleep-in), Jeannie asked me what I wanted to do that day.  'Not get hot' was my reply.  Forecast high of 36, or 37, or 39, depending on your source.  I knew it wouldn't be the same as high 30s in Brisbane, but I was still keen for as little exertion as possible. 

We headed into town, and after getting to Federation Square without any real plan, Jeannie mentioned Koko Black.  Chocolate.  As if I could resist.  Oh my, what a chocolate shop.  Think Chocolat meets Paris.  Beautiful.  I didn't get a good photo of the interior, though - possibly because my brain was in pleasure overload.

While choosing some morsels for consumption with coffee, we were offered free samples (score!).  Best cappuccino ever - it came with a little pot of shaved chocolate on the side.  Which meant it ended with a hit of melted chocolate.  Bliss.  Couldn't resist buying some more to take away.

Despite this being my 3rd trip in 5 months, I was yet to experience a famous Melbourne laneway.  We went to Degraves Place for lunch in a cafe, which just happened to be opposite Kinki Gerlinki.  More shopping. 

We then headed over to South Bank and the National Gallery of Victoria.  Its cascade entrance was such a relief - it was 37C on the iPhone app at this stage.  We finally found the famous stained glass ceiling (we'd searched on a previous visit) - wow!  Then spent the next few hours wandering the gallery. 

Coffee at a place on South Bank, then we headed over to ACMI in time for Laurence Anyways - and even had time to watch a bit of the tennis on the big screen in Fed Square.  The movie was really interesting, and I keep thinking of new aspects and elements. 

Friday.  My last day - so I was a bit down all day.  Jeannie and I went to a nearby cafe, Porgie and Mr Jones, then stopped off at the local Vinnies (excellent idea!).  With Matt, we then headed over to Collingwood, to the People's Market (on Stanley St).  Not as market-y as I was anticipating - mostly food, with a couple of non-food containers.  I like the concept, but more tangibles and people required.  We then wandered down Smith St, and had lunch at the eco-friendly pub, Grumpy's.  Really good food - sustainable, local produce - with friendly service and did I mention sofas?  Cool sofas.  I wish I'd taken my camera with me to the bathroom - the walls were papered with old sewing patterns.  On the wall by the window (complete with window seat) was a sign reading 'If you sit here you are super cool' - so of course we had to have photos there. 

We also checked out the homewares stores and lost and found market.  The market reminded me of a certain Simpsons episode... 

And that was it.  I then had to head back, fit everything into my suitcase (success!), say final goodbyes, and get back to the airport.  Although quite cool in Melbourne, it was another record-breaker for much of the country.  Bush fires were numerous, and I've never flown over such a hazy country.  The photo doesn't really do it justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment