If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Saturday 19 January 2013

Melbourne Trip #3, Part 1

I know - it seems like the whole New Thing thing is involving many trips to the same city.  But what am I to do, when my bestie has moved???  With more than a weekend free, and a spare room in which to crash, I went from Tuesday to Friday.  Including checked luggage.

Tuesday: I was fairly dopey from lack of sleep (more than a week of heat-induced insomnia), but before I had a little snooze Jeannie asked which of these clothes I'd like.  After my little nap we went for a quick run around the neighbourhood (really nice area, near the river) and then we (Jeannie, her man Matt, and me) headed to Prahran.  Dinner at Yellow Bird, which was doing Mexican Tuesdays, and then we headed to Revolver for their Tuesday Night Trivia.  So. Much. Fun.  We came last... which was a bonus, as we won the dud prize - a much-coveted dream catcher. 

We admired the groovy, retro outfitting (sofas reminiscent of beach holidays in my childhood - ie, furniture from a couple of decades prior...) and fabulous light shades. 

Dessert cocktails - I had an affogato which included a shot of Kahlua as well as the requisite ice cream and coffee and extra coffee beans.  Total decadence.  Trivia was free, and friendly, and did I mention buckets of fun?  Starts 7:30pm every Tuesday so if you're in Melbourne on a Tuesday, do it.

Wednesday: The goal was to have breakfast then head into ACMI for a showing of Laurence Anyways.  Slight stove malfunction meant slightly higher stress levels, but Jeannie and I still made it in time.  Except Everguide has misled us and it wasn't showing until the afternoon.  So we went to the screen images exhibition.  Some very cool things (I won't put in any spoilers) - my favourite bit though was the snapshot of Australian accents.  A heap of clips from shows like Roy & HG, The Comedy Company, Summer Heights High, The Castle, and more.  Gold.

As I had a whole suitcase and 23kg, we then went shopping.  Bridge Rd, Richmond.  Matt met us part-way through, and we had lunch, more shopping, coffee... I didn't actually buy all that much, but it was really fun trying on clothes quite different from what Brisbane has on offer.  And finding all the stores which sell online with free shipping...

I then made my way (on my own!) to South Yarra, to meet a friend I know from Brisbane.  It's been a few years since I've seen her and it was lovely to catch up over a cup of tea.  Carolyn had just been sent a fabulous swimming cap:

Jeannie and Matt were off to the tennis Wednesday evening, so I wandered around South Yarra for a bit after seeing Carolyn, then caught a train to Richmond, wandered along Swan St in search of something tempting for dinner, then headed back home.  I was still in the 'whoa - daylight savings a long way from the equator' wonder - this photo was taken about 7:20 (slightly enhanced thanks to Instagram, but the sky was really that blue).
Although I was rather tired by this stage, I couldn't resist an evening walk.  It was 8:20 when I left and still quite light, and only just dark when I returned at about 9.

I actually took heaps of photos of plants, too, but I'll spare you the 'ooh that's not a tropical flower' pictures.  Apart from seeing my bestie, though, the greatest bit of this trip was actually sleeping.  Bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment