If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Saturday 12 January 2013

The Free Weekend (Part 1)

A bit of back story, first.  This time last year, I did summer school.  A semester of work in 2 weeks.  Intense.  Fabulous.  Was looking forward to the next installment all year.  But not enough people were doing my particular course, so it was cancelled.  Really disappointed.  However, before it was cancelled I anticipated the intensity, and begged out of all my normal commitments for the second weekend in January.  Without summer school, I found myself with nothing to do.  During the week, I was longing for a trip to Sydney.  One gym session, I mapped out everything I wanted to do while there.  However, I also realised that trip would be rather indulgent.  And from Wednesday evening I've been traveling free thanks to gocard.  That would often result in a trip to the coast, but then I had other thoughts.  And a surprise message.  So this is how my Saturday panned out.

Woke early, ish, walked rather briskly to the nearest ferry terminal (the Regatta), and caught a Citycat, just.  Took this to Bulimba, and had breakfast at the Jetty.  Lovely service - despite it being a busy Saturday morning - good coffee, good food.  I felt a tiny bit out of place (more as a curiosity rather than a glaring neon sign) as I wasn't there with a partner or children.  But I had a view of the river, and the birds, while I ate.  After breakfast I had a tiny walk around - this was my first ever time at Bulimba.  Very trendy.

Caught another Citycat to Teneriffe, and had a short walk along the river (short as in less than 100m) to see this sculpture.

Bought a much-needed 2nd coffee, and caught a bus to the Valley.  Made a couple of notes for future photographs - like a sign at the front of a cafe/bar saying "First to mention the weather shouts the bar" - ha!  I was in the Valley for the only fixed thing on my agenda, a result of an unexpected message Friday morning.  A friend (through QYO and gigs) asked if I was interested in going rock climbing.  Ah, yes.  It's been a few years, and I was really keen.  I'm pleased to report that I was much better at it this time.  Much more aware of my core, and more trusting of the safety equipment, I did much better than I ever remember - and my arms aren't aching.  I do have a couple of extra bruises on my knees, though, as well as a future challenge to conquer.  Loads of fun, although not air conditioned in any way.  I sweated buckets. 

Caught a bus into the city, had yum cha with a friend at Beijing House, off the mall.  Needed a refreshing drink, so bought my first juice from the stall at the entrance to the Myer Centre - apple and strawberry.  Had to choose between staying in air conditioning, or being outdoors and in the heat.  Chose the outdoor option, and enjoyed some live music.  I had been deciding whether or not to go home and change, or just stay out.  In keeping with the "I'm on holiday" theme, I stayed out, and caught a train to Sandgate.  Admired the fabulous deep blue sky surrounding the Sandgate Town Hall.

Still really hot and humid and sweaty but mitigated somewhat by the brisk sea breeze, I walked along the upper part before heading down to the beach.  Really breezy, and there were a heap of kites being flown along the flats.  As well as happy kids and frolicking dogs.  (Really hard to capture all the kites in a photo - trust me, I tried!).

After walking north a bit, returned and walked to the Shorncliffe pier and Moora park. 

Decided I was now tired enough to head home, where I promptly ran a bath (also in keeping with the "I'm on holidays" theme - my preferred hotels have baths...).  Now I need to clean up my fingernails and feet, and make a plan for tomorrow.  I love holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment