If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Monday 6 May 2013

Hill Running

Last term, I felt my fitness was not as peak as it was last year.  I did, however, put in an entry for a hilly half marathon, which is fast approaching.  Then, in early March, I had a conversation in my head (yeah, I know - everyone does this, right? right??) in which a Judgmental Other commented on my lack of fitness, a Defensive Me pointed out I would have to get up at quarter to four in the morning if I wanted to run on a school day, and then a more Rational Me piped up to say, Wednesday's could squeeze in a first-thing gym session (now regular), and I could maybe do more than take blog photos and go to trivia on a Tuesday evening... Maybe...?  A short but hilly run?  So, most Tuesdays have involved a hilly 3km loop.  Last week, with very limited time, I really felt like doing it twice.  I didn't.

This hilly half marathon is nearly here, and now that the chamber music concert is done, I feel I can concentrate on training.  Last night, I decided to do my hilly route, with an extended end to include a horrible nearby hill, and then what would normally be my 13km river run.  All up it was about 17km, with 6km of hills.  The last 3km were a bit painful and I had to walk a couple of hundred metres.  However, I'm now far more confident about this upcoming race.  Another really big plus - the slight undulations along the river route were nothing.  Normally the first rise after the end of the detour makes me reconsider how far I'll go, but not last night!

And.... Now I'm going to have another stretch.

No comments:

Post a Comment