If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Monday 27 May 2013

Running for a Cause

I just put in an entry for the inaugural City2South.  Yay!  I love running.  This one is very much a charity run, and I thought I might as well.  Whenever I see a runner in an event wearing something that indicates they're not just doing this for personal achievement/glory/pain/to beat somebody else, I think that's so good of them.  And so small of me.  So here we are.

There were a fair few charities listed.  A lot were health-related (tempting), or aid-related (also tempting), or schools (??).  The very first one on the list was for Prison Fellowship Australia.  I put it on my list of maybes.  I thought I'd investigate all the charities on my list of maybes, but I did this one first, and couldn't not support it.  What really clinched the deal was my initial unease and feeling of 'what will people think?' - I've found those are often the best options. 

Some of my other reasons:
*Occasionally, I'll read a book which involves prisoners - whether they're wrongfully imprisoned or not - and feel that I'm just 'walking by' the problem, that the only time I think about it is when I read about it, or when prison chaplaincy is on the prayer cycle at church.  And that doesn't do much, long-term.
*My dad has been involved in similar work.  I'm not sure if it's the same group, but the same idea.  I went with him on one occasion and remember how much the families appreciated what he did. 
*Being an avid reader of crime fiction, I often forget the Others involved in crime.  Regardless of why someone is in prison, there are often people left behind, partners and children and siblings and parents, who all need support as well.

So - will you make a donation?  If you follow this link you will get to my Everyday Hero fundraising page.  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment