If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Tuesday 3 April 2012

The Concerned Resident

Recently, there was a major change to my environment.  It was almost worthy of a blog post, but I figured it was a change over which I had no control, and besides, other things kept happening.  The change was to traffic conditions and a bus stop - now, instead of jaywalking down the hill, I have to stay on the same side of the road, and either cross at the new lights, or turn left (not right) to go further outbound.  It took me a few weeks to remember to stay on the same side of the road, and I still have to say to myself at the roundabout, Stay on this side.  I think I've got it sorted now.

The only problem now is that there is still a bit missing a footpath.  And it's permanently mud.

When the council people took off and obviously had no plans to put in a footpath, I was a little peeved.  I would have to choose between walking through mud (these photos were taken after we've had a few rain-free days, and it's still slooshy), or walking on the road.  Neither option is great for heels.  More concerning (first world problems here) would be the temptation for other people to walk on the road.  This leads up to a school area, and a lot of kids are dropped in this street and then walk across to the school - so now there are many more pedestrians on the road.  Plus, as it's in a bend in the road, it's always a little scary when you step off onto the road and are not sure if a car is going to come speeding around the corner.

I kept thinking I should call the council and see if we would in fact be getting a footpath.  But, honestly, I don't like making phone calls.  Yesterday, though, there was a visually impaired man trying to make his way along this stretch of path.  By the tapping of his cane and the sudden way he stopped, it looked like he was thinking, I'm sure there was a path here before.... Where did it go?  Which is fair enough, as there isn't even a set of those raised ridges/dots they put along paths and at intersections.  So I advised him to walk on the road, and told him when there was a path again.

Today, then, I actually rang the council and asked for a footpath.  Travis was very nice, but while he was checking if there was a work order, he put me on hold with horrendous music.  Truly horrible, synthesised flute and percussion assault on my ears.  Shudder.  Thankfully I wasn't on hold for long.  I had to give my name, address, and phone number, but there should be someone 'inspecting' the area within a week.  Fingers crossed for my shoes!  Oh, and the safety of everyone who uses that bit of road, of course...

No comments:

Post a Comment