If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Sunday 8 April 2012

Lenten Drawings

 I aimed this year to do something artistic each week.  Mostly on a Sunday, I did a drawing - this in itself is different for me, as normally my artistic side leans towards painting.  Drawing, I feel, takes more skill.  When I began this process, I had a number of occasions of "ugh, this is too hard, it looks terrible, I'm giving up" before forcing myself to keep practicing.  Drawing is just like anything, the more you do it the easier it is.  Here are my drawings from Lent (yes, I missed a week).


Week 1 - I had just been to the Matisse: Drawing Life  exhibition and was aiming for brevity.



Week 2 - still aiming for brevity, it didn't turn out as simple as I had hoped.  I'd also lost my eraser.  





Hands are difficult.  Really difficult.  This was the best of week 3, but there were several other attempts.




Week 4 - I did this one at school, from a photo I'd taken a few days beforehand.  I'd done many attempts but just couldn't get the lines right - yet at school it just worked and took only one quick attempt.



This is possibly my favourite.  I drew this on Good Friday.  I then began a painting of it but that isn't finished just yet...  This took many, many practices to get the angles and fingers right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment