If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Monday 30 April 2012

Tequila and Extra Musings

Sunday.  Sunday was a big day.  I finally returned home after 11pm and decided not to do a blog post.  This is still, I think, a good thing.  Posting anything on the internet when super tired, not to mention slightly tipsy, is not on my list of things to do.

I was really only vaguely tipsy.  One glass of wine, and tequila.  I had never had tequila before, so this was an unexpected New Thing.  It was very nice tequila, provided by an authentic Mexican.  We were having tacos so this just enhanced the Mexican experience. 

But this was the very end of Sunday.  Writing Saturday's post about Idiocracy, I meant to add something about the whole kids thing.  I thought I might just edit the original post, but then there was so much more.  I found out on Saturday evening about a Customs House concert on Sunday.  Not on my original plan for Sunday, I was hesitant to go along...but I knew I would appreciate it if I went, and regret it if I didn't.  I just made it in time after church, and I was very glad my brother had saved me a seat.  All 3 Shostakovich string sonatas.  I was familiar with the cello sonata (played brilliantly by Patrick Murphy and Liam Viney); it was my first hearing of the violin sonata (played by Graeme Jennings and Anna Grinberg) - if this had been my first exposure to Shostakovich I would have been put off, but I think I need more education in this work; and the viola sonata (played by Yoko Okayasu and Grinberg) - again unknown to me, but so beautiful.  I was close to tears near the end (and I wasn't the only one).  A 2 hour concert, so good for my soul, my brain.  Near the end of the viola sonata I had a quick look around the audience - this is one of my concert habits - and had an epiphany of sorts.  Each of us in that room, although mostly separate, were all a part of this experience.  No matter our individual stories and what had led us to that moment, we were all connected.

Now back to Idiocracy.  In Saturday's review, I felt I missed a fence-post moment.  The movie portrays a society in which less-educated people reproduce more (a lot more) than more educated people.  This is the movie - not me.  As the 3rd of 4 children, with intelligent and well-educated parents, that would be hypocritical as a start.  Just in the last 2 weeks I've found that 2 separate couples, already each with a young daughter, are expecting a second child, and this news thrills me.  Every time I've become an auntie I'm over the moon.  I love teaching, and believe that every child is a gift, special, unique.  When people have children, whether planned or by accident, because they love each other - I have no problem with that.  When people have children because they don't have anything better to do, or because they can get more money from the government - this I find problematic.  When a child is neglected in love or education or care - this saddens me greatly. 

After the concert (at which there were a few kids, some who enjoyed it, some who were bored), I was in the queue for the bathrooms in front of a friend I don't often see.  "Anna! I love your blog!  What's your inspiration?"  I often have this conversation.  I gave my standard answer - last year was boring, I did the same things every week, so this year I'm trying to be less predictable.  But an alternative answer could be, because of Idiocracy.  By doing all the same things, my brain shrivels, synapses slow, I become a less capable person in every respect.  Generations of boring people result in the society found in the movie.  Which makes me so much more determined to do different things and live less predictably.

No comments:

Post a Comment