If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Saturday 7 April 2012

The Lenten Discipline in Review

Today is the last day of Lent.  On Ash Wednesday, I said that this year I would be giving up alcohol and peanut butter.  And try not to replace my peanut butter addiction with chocolate.  And try not to have quite so much to donate to a good cause as last year.

Last year, I started with a $1 penalty for each infringement.  After a couple of hours, I reduced the amount to 50c.  Total donation amount: about $55. 

This year, I knew it wouldn't be so hard to stick to my disciplines.  So, peanut butter cost me $2.50, and alcohol $5.

Tally:
I'm just going to estimate the peanut butter at $10.  There was about 1/4 cup at the start of Lent, which all went in the first 10 days or so.
Alcohol.  Yes, well.
My brother's first gig with QSO called for a celebration.  2 glasses of wine = $10
March 15 we went to the movies (to see Safe House).  We had coffees beforehand.  We neglected to order decaf.  I had 2 gin and tonics after to (hopefully) help me sleep.  Rather unsuccessfully, for the record.  $10
I was very pleased that I didn't drink at the global music fiesta on March 16. 
March 23 was the staff party.  As soon as I sat down, someone put a glass in my hand and someone else had poured me some wine.  Tally for the night = 2 glasses = $10
March 24 was an 'Indian food and Bollywood string quartet' night.  Again, wine glass in my hand, started the evening filled with wine, ended the evening 2 drinks down... No more than that because then I can't play... $10
On Wednesday I went to a farewell dinner and, again, had 2 glasses of wine = $10
Grand total = $60

I was a little disappointed that there were so many instances in which I slipped.  And, when I did, I always had a second glass.  Thankfully, this is all going to a good cause.  Sam (of the DVD collection) is doing the Oxfam Trail Walk in June, and so all this money is going to his team.

Unfortunately, I did seem to replace the peanut butter with chocolate.  There is only so much avocado or almond I can eat in one day.  I am really, really trying to keep the alcohol to a minimum even after tomorrow.  I know it is better for me, both now and for my future me, to drink less rather than more.  I think I've broken the habit of cooking with a glass of wine, and I will aim to keep the drinking to social occasions only.  Meanwhile, bring on tomorrow...

2 comments:

  1. You're a brave woman confessing to your number of slips - I don't think I should document mine but the donation to the students fundraising project will be significant! I'm sure Oxfam will appreciate your donation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I needed to keep myself honest :)

    ReplyDelete