If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Monday 10 June 2013

Movie #37 - Beautiful Lies

I had an urge recently to watch a French movie.  A trip to the movie store provided me with Beautiful Lies, a comedy starring Audrey Tatou.  Such a good choice, and I watched it a second time with my mum.  When reading the back cover, I was struck by 2 similarities to Amelie (which was my fallback option if nothing took my fancy).  1 - Amelie/Emilie.  2 - both characters are trying to help other people.  Oh, and they both fall into the love story department.  Some other thoughts:

This is about family relationships, and personal relationships, with a love triangle thrown in for good measure.  A daughter trying to boost her mother's mood, increase her self-esteem so she can deal with what's to come.  A daughter trying to make her mother into an approved version, no longer embarrassing to her.  A mother trying to mourn the ending of her relationship (even 4 years on), be sad when she wants to be, enjoy what comes her way.  A man who loves the daughter but sees the goodness in the mother.  A man who wants to please, who is very human, emotionally and intellectually intelligent.  And all of them show, to varying degrees, how our preconceived hurts can affect our responses in new situations.

Of the 3 main characters, I like the mother the best.  That said, I can really understand why Emilie reacts the way she does.  And for all I don't really like Emilie's character (after the fabulous opening, my next impression was that Jean is wasting his affection), her intentions regarding her mother are good, and she was put in an awkward position by a cowardly father.  Actually I rather like Jean too.  It's just he is so stupidly in love with Emilie - I associate that behaviour more with females but it doesn't mean I like it.  It's such a relief when his true colours shine through, his intelligence and kindness and integrity.  Maddy (the mother) is the sort of person I can see myself becoming.  And that's not all a good thing, but a recognition of my personality and the knowledge that all women become their mothers.

There are 2 strong support roles - Sylvia, the salon co-owner; and Paulette.  I'd actually (gasp) forgotten her until I rewatched with mum.  She is fabulous.  Highly strung, wanting to be nice to people and do the right thing, reminiscent of Luna Lovegood in the Harry Potter series - I'd be happy to watch a movie with her story as the lead.  She has some of the best lines!

Emilie has a wardrobe akin to what I'd like my wardrobe to be.  She was pretty skinny in this, though.  Actually, apart from the mother's mad dash into town in her nightie, and her "I'm sad" clothes, the wardrobe in this is ... I'm having trouble finding a word.  I want it.  That is all.  One of the best lines is about clothes.  Emilie is frustrated by her mother's depressed mood and says to her, "Look at you!  It's spring, and you're in sweatpants!".  So French.

I laughed so much in this, and it's not often I'm ready to watch a movie again within a matter of days.  The music is just right, the scenery rather delightful (French Mediterranean), and did I mention the clothes?  Yeah.  However... After both viewings, I was quite upset.  Not as the credits were rolling, but later.  I still don't quite understand Jean's love for Emilie, and how she managed to redeem herself in his eyes.  Maybe being that beautiful just changes all the rules of life.  Or maybe I missed something vital both times.  Although maybe having someone beautiful fall in love with you might change how you feel about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment