If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Saturday 15 June 2013

Movie #38 - Flypaper

Returning some DVDs, I asked mum (who was staying) if she had any requests.  Something funny and romantic was the request.  I have a confession (maybe you've worked this out already) - I don't like chick flicks.  At least, not very much.  Does Chicago count?  Anyway, especially right now, I can't deal with people falling in love with each other on my tv screen.  I came home with 3 that sort of fit into the romantic comedy genre, and after a very scientific behind-my-back shuffle, we watched Flypaper that night.  And it was about as un-romantic as a romantic comedy can be.  I enjoyed it very much - and so did mum, if you're wondering.

The main protagonist is a Sherlock Holmes-type of character.  I liked him immediately.  Actually, I'd put this comedy as a cross between Sherlock Holmes and Ocean's 11 - both movies up there on my favourites list.  I'm still working on the relationship analogy, but I'm sure it's out there.  And - for the record - I found this a much more acceptable path to a relationship than what I often see (and, for example, in Beautiful Lies).  Basic plot: the Sherlock Holmes sort (okay, Tripp - played by Patrick Dempsey) is in the bank and gets caught in the middle of two bank heists, one professional and one very unprofessional.   And finds himself attracted to a teller (played by Ashley Judd).  This movie has a decent dose of problem solving (ooh!  my favourite!) and a matching dose of comedy.  One bank heist team is very professional (hence the Ocean's reference); the other ... not so... More like the comic relief.  But the professional lot are being sorely tried, at first by the incompetent lot, and then by the pressures of decades of bank heists.  Stereotypes go out the window.

Another aspect I relished was the concept of all those carefully laid plans going awry.  The mastermind behind the whole thing (really trying to avoid spoilers here) had so much planned, like a chess player - but, in a bank robbery during business hours, you can't predict the actions or thoughts of the bank customers.  And even if the mastermind had predicted or relied upon typical, or even slightly outside the square, reactions, having someone like Sherlock Holmes present shakes things up somewhat. 

The movie had a few areas of predictability, but so many other maybes that the predictability is not so noticeable.  It was like watching a long episode of a crime show.  One that has comedy writers on deck.  Aside from all the funny stuff, though, it does touch on what we do and why we do it (couldn't just leave you with no deep commentary here).  Sometimes it's because we're drawn to it for whatever reason (like the explosions), or discover in ourselves an unusual, highly sought-after skill (like being cool under the pressure of blowing up a safe).  Sometimes it's because we can trace a long lineage of similar selves (having seen this movie, that now gives me a giggle every time, and I won't spoil it).  And sometimes we just know we can get away with it.   And no, I won't spoil that one for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment