If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Thursday 8 March 2012

The Embrace of Technology

I often have parents say to me, "I have no idea if she's getting it right or not.  I'm hopeless with music".  I've found that a lot of parents feel out of their depth when it comes to helping their children.  For some of them, this is partly by design, as they realise when they don't do it for their kids, the kids are forced to learn it all fully, themselves.  One of them even said that to me yesterday - and this is from a parent who is able to occasionally sit in on the lessons.  But a lot of my students I teach during school, and their parents don't really have the option to come in and listen.  Plus, I see most of my students for a half hour lesson.  Minus the time it takes to collect and return the little ones.  Minus the time it takes the older ones to remember they have a lesson, ask their teacher to leave, and make the trip to my teaching room.  And then they are back in school, absorbing a whole lot of other information.  Not to mention, the multitude of extra-curricular activities undertaken by young people these days.

It would be great if I could send my kids away and they remembered how to work out how to do something, even if they didn't actually remember how to do it straight off.  But...  In recent years a few parents have asked for Youtube recommendations.  I resisted a little (I much prefer students to work it out themselves), but it really minimises conflict at home if the parents can show a Youtube video to their child and say, See it really doesn't sound like what you just played.  Last year, I upgraded to an iPhone, and near the end of the year I discovered the sound quality of string playing on the Voice Memo function is really not bad.  This year, I have started recording what the student needs to practice that week, or the new thing, or something that still isn't right.  Then on Thursdays I email it through to the parents or, sometimes, direct to the student.  Some students have now started bringing their ipod to their lesson and I can record straight onto that.

I started noticing benefits straight away.  As soon as I did the first recording for one child, that student looked up at me with big eyes and said "Wow.  You're really good".  Well, yes.  I'm a professional.  This way the student hears, right from the beginning, what the goal is.  Tuning, rhythm, and musicality have a benchmark, and the student can aim for my way immediately.  Moreover, the parents can hear that benchmark as well, and even if they are, in fact, "hopeless with music", they can compare notes (ooh, sorry for the terrible pun!).  And as the weeks progress, they accumulate a collection of recordings of everything they need to be playing.  One parent even emailed me yesterday to let me know that her child practices playing along to my recordings, and if they don't match, she has to start again.  Gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment