If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Sunday 25 March 2012

The Polling Place

Saturday was Queensland's state election.  I'm not going to get political on here, but I'm really glad my Facebook newsfeed demonstrates the like-mindedness of my friends.  Normally, I would vote at a Uniting Church about 10 minutes' walk from home, but yesterday being a very busy day, that was just a little awkward.  What with teaching, buying presents for special little people, and a gig, it was easier to pick a polling place closer to one of those activities. 

After teaching, my brother and I went to the larger of the nearby shopping centres and, before anything else, I voted at the Uniting Church across the street.  There was no queue, which is great for speed.  When there is no queue, however, signs with arrows are handy so that voters don't end up in a tiny tots ballet class.  Just saying.  There were 2 sausage sizzles set up, as well as a craft stall, and cheery people manning the doors and the imaginary queue.  Thankfully, as I was walking in a local was engaged in conversation with one of the party people handing out flyers and they only just saw me - but by then I was far enough past them that I could just shake my head.  I find them just as irritating as the perfume spruikers in department stores - less smelly in a literal sense, but just as on the nose.  (I felt a little silly taking a photo, so you can't see all the placards lining the street to the right of the church).

Lovely people with the electoral rolls - possibly also glad to have another to cross off the list - and my little old lady complimented me on my names (as most doctors do as well - thanks mum and dad!).  As this polling place is so convenient to the shopping centre/gym, it might just become my new regular place.

No comments:

Post a Comment