If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Saturday 3 March 2012

Exercising Restraint

This morning, I made biscuits.

I only had one student this morning (bliss!), and I had a meeting in the afternoon which required me to bring something to share.  So once the student was done, at 9am, I baked.  This was so nice.  Made me wish for a normal job (you know, 9-5, Monday - Friday), so that I could actually have a weekend.  Excuse me while I have a giggle.

Now, this biscuit recipe I have used many times.  Many, many times.  And it's basic enough that it can withstand substitutions quite easily.  It's in the Donna Hay Off the Shelf book (Food Processor Biscuits).  Today I used more than the recommended 1 cup of chocolate chips (I had about 1 1/3 cups of dark chocolate melts which I broke into pieces), and I used dried apricots instead of raisins.  Partly because that's what was in the cupboard, and partly because comments on past baking has been the raisins are just mean - you think you're getting chocolate when in fact it's vaguely healthy instead.  At least when you bite into a piece of apricot there are no illusions.

The main thing for today, though, is that this recipe apparently makes 25 biscuits.  I always have more than that, as 2 tablespoons per biscuit is a lot of biscuit dough.  Now, I bake 10 biscuits per tray, so I'm always left with a certain amount of dough which will obviously not make a whole extra tray of biscuits.  I must admit, usually this ends with me just eating the remainder of the biscuit dough.  Enjoying it, yes, until I've finished it...  But today I thought, I'm going to bake a half-tray's worth of biscuits.  Which ended up being 8 biscuits anyway, so the total number was 38.  Totally feeling virtuous.

No comments:

Post a Comment