If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Saturday 10 March 2012

Triple Whammy

 Friday had 3 - 3! - new things.

1.  I went to Nocturnes at St John's Cathedral.  For the last couple of years, on Friday evenings during Lent they hold Nocturnes, a quiet musical ending to the week.  I used to have students starting at 8am on Saturdays, so I wasn't super keen to be out til 10pm the night before.  But that student is now during the week, and my first one isn't til 9am (a huge, wonderful difference), so I feel more able to attend a late evening concert.  Last night was the Camerata of St John's, a small string group a bit like the ACO.  Instead of performing in the main part of the cathedral, they used the north aisle which made it a very intimate setting.  One of my favourite pieces was performed - Spiegel im Spiegel by Arvo Part.  I first heard that in the cathedral years ago, when it was used by the Queensland Ballet for their Francis of Assissi production.  Beautiful.  Last night there were some group pieces as well as solos by members of the group who were not the leaders of each section, which I found really refreshing.  Sitting in a darkened cathedral and listening to music at once intimate and filling the whole, huge space, was a very special end to the week.  This photo I took at the end - I had not known before that the huge window at the West End has a fire effect going late at night.  Pretty spectacular, and this photo doesn't really do it justice, but that's just a glimpse.

2.  My outfit was 100% recycled.  Dress, necklace and shoes from op shops (dress I bought last January and have been waiting to wear it that long!), jacket and earrings from friends.  Yes, this photo is a bit blurry - but it was night.  And the shoes didn't quite make it in fully (it's hard to get good help these days...).  I did have people walking past, and other friends trying to make me laugh, so this is the least blurred and ridiculous shot there was.

3.  I made a decision for a group.  This was met with amazement, and then much teasing.  Good thing they're my best friends!  After the Nocturnes 4 of us were going for coffee.  2 people decided not to make the decision as to where we went.  I said, not Three Monkeys because I've been there recently.  Much dithering ensued, so I then said, Let's go to the Three Monkeys.  Gasp.

No comments:

Post a Comment