If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Wednesday 7 March 2012

Outfit #14 - Stripes on Stripes

I have never worn 2 striped items at once.  Today was a debut.

Outfit details:

Shirt:  Lily White (op shop).  Pants: Portmans.  Shoes: Lipstick (op shop).  Belt: gift.  Earrings: Oxfam.


I quite like this shirt, and think I should incorporate it into more outfits.  The sleeves are actually puffy, which takes me back to childhood (yes, I wanted to be a princess, or at least living in a kingdom once upon a time).  It would be better if I can find more ways to wear it so the bottom edge isn't visible - it's not brilliantly finished, and my sewing skills are not up to altering that just yet.  However, wearing a tucked-in shirt is not a successful style option for violinists.  Sure, it looks great when you put it on, very neat and put-together.  But as soon as those arms are raised to hold a violin and make some sound, out comes the shirt.  Irritating.  That used to be the only thing I checked when trying on clothes - can I raise my arms without looking silly?  Now, I remember I need to be able to sit down or walk without flashing too much above the knee... I'm learning!



Stripe on stripe detail.  Very skinny stripes at the top.  Thicker (but still subtle) stripes on the bottom.  Pink mock-animal skin belt.  Piano and an attempt at sound-proofing in the background.













In 2 weeks there is a music festival at school.  One of my girls is super nervous about playing, so today I tried to get inside her brain, and give her some tips on performing.  It turns out one of the things that is worrying her is playing with an accompanist.  I'm not great on piano (really!), but I do what I can in the lessons to give the students an idea of what sort of sounds will be coming out when they have a professional on board.  It's really interesting to see which kids are totally unfazed by having another instrument play, and which ones just fall apart.  This particular child is fine, she's just letting her brain stress out a bit.  I reassured her that the accompanist for the strings for this festival is totally not scary.  Like a younger brother - for me, or an older brother for her.  He's the same age as my brother, they went to uni together, they're about the same height, and not scary
"Ummm.... how tall is that?"  Not that tall.  Not any taller than I am right now.  "Yeah, but you're wearing heels... Ooh, and they're platform as well".  So, definitely not any taller than me right now.


My coffee man was back today.  I only get coffee from there twice a week, and that only during school terms.  So when this coffee guy remembered my order (and that I play a stringed instrument) - from the middle of November - I was really impressed.  He has so much energy (yes, possibly chemically enhanced), tattoos, big discs in his earlobes, but he makes my coffee strong, he can make conversation before 7am, and there's always a nice parting remark.

No comments:

Post a Comment