If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Friday 9 March 2012

Lime and Coconut Macaroons

I mentioned in the Sweet Soy Omelette post that I love lime.  I don't, however, love coconut.  I've found that coconut-lovers are shocked by this, but anyone not enamoured of the stuff can see my point.  So this Jill Dupleix extras recipe (from Good Cooking: the New Essentials) was yet untested by me. 

There have been 3 limes sitting in my fruit bowl for a couple of weeks at least, languishing because I've given up alcohol for Lent - no more G&Ts for me for a while.  Which is a good thing.  Today, looking for inspiration for something new, I was flipping through this cookbook, and spied this recipe.  I had all the ingredients so made them this afternoon.

So, so easy.  I was still hesitant on account of the coconut, but wow - delicious!  I had a little of the mix left after filling a baking tray and even that was yummy.  Once cooked, I thought I should probably taste-test before writing about it - drool.  Light, but with a chewiness that I adore in baked goods.  Plus limey brilliance.  These will definitely be baked again!  After all, I still have 1 1/2 limes and a whole lot of coconut...

Recipe:
Use your hands to mix 100 g caster sugar, 150 g desiccated coconut, 2 egg whites, 1 tbsp grated lime zest and 1 tbsp lime juice to a thick paste.  Press into a flat square, 1 cm high (I did this part on a piece of foil).  Cut out small rounds (or any shape), and bake on a tray at 170C/Gas 3 for 12 - 15 minutes or until lightly golden (mine were ready in 10 minutes).

No comments:

Post a Comment