If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Wednesday 27 June 2012

Apple and Barley Baked Pudding

The last time I bought pearl barley, I noticed there was a recipe on the packet for this pudding.  As I had not conceived of using pearl barley for anything other than soups and casseroles, I found this intriguing.  I needed the right weather (cold and rainy - check) and a few spare apples (thank you mum and dad) to bring it on.  So yesterday, it happened.  Warning: this is the healthiest version of a dessert I think I've come across (short of fruit salad).  It needs ice cream to make it less virtuous.

Recipe:
225g pearl barley
3 medium apples, peeled, cored and finely sliced
60g raw caster sugar (about 1/3 cup)
1 lemon, juiced
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon margarine spread (or butter or whatever - I use Dairy Soft)

Prepare pearl barley: I used the quick method, by putting the barley into a saucepan, covering with water, bringing to the boil and simmering for about 30 minutes.  I kept topping up water as required - once tender, drain any excess liquid.
Preheat oven to 175C; lightly grease a 5 cup capacity ovenproof dish.
Add apples, sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon to the barley.  Pour into dish, dot with the butter, cover with foil (or a lid), and bake for an hour.  Serve with cream or ice cream.

It's tasty and (without ice cream) practically guilt-free.  It's not, however, a dessert I would serve to most blokes.  Unless I drowned it in custard and cream and ice cream and maybe lied about some of the ingredients.  So you never know!

Today's daily photo:

This morning, I indulged in the chocolate and marmalade porridge I tried a few weeks ago.  Not all the chocolate made it into the saucepan - some landed on the stove, some had to be quality-tested, and some was left over for the top of my coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment