If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Friday 15 June 2012

Sinus-clearing Soup

I've been feeling like I'm fighting a cold all week.  This is not a good feeling, especially with a to-do list as long as mine.  At lunch today, I was contemplating my options with that stuffed-up feeling in my sinuses.  I had half a tin of tomatoes sitting in the fridge, so I thought I'd improvise a soup.  Then I noticed the chilli sitting there, and decided to try a spicy soup and clear those sinuses.  The last time I tried to make a spicy fish soup I was rather underwhelmed with its spiciness, but I went all out here.  It worked a treat - after 2 spoonfuls I was reaching for the tissues, and felt much more clear-headed afterwards.  And thankfully knocked a few more things off my to-do list.

Approximate recipe for the Sinus-clearing Soup:

A chopped onion
Green capsicum
Red chilli, sliced
1/2 tin diced tomatoes
A tablespoon or so of tomato puree
About 1/4 cup drained jalapenos
About 300g prawns (or something with protein)

Heat some olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat, add the onions and fry until soft.  Add the chilli and capsicum, fry until softened, then add the tomatoes, tomato puree, and jalapenos.  Also add some water - I used about 1/4 cup but it depends how sloppy you want your soup.  Bring it to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for a bit (10 minutes maybe).  Add the prawns, increase the heat and cook until prawns are cooked through.  Serves 2.

Today's photo:

Brisbane knows how to put on good weather in winter.  We have a week of sun ahead of us.  When I was emptying the water from the coffee machine, I saw the shadow of this flower was so crisp against the fence.  Plus I like that it's no longer straight up, but leaning over (mostly thanks to the washing line).  I've lived here for many years, but it was only in the last few that this aloe vera plant has actually produced flowers as we were in drought for so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment