If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Friday 8 June 2012

The Mount Isa Gig

Just before Easter, I received a text from someone I don't know.  "Looking for a violinist for a quartet gig in Mt Isa"... Ok...but I don't know who you are... "Flights, accommodation, food all paid for, plus [$$] for 3 hours playing"... Sounds great, but I don't know who you are!!!  A few more details, then he told me who gave him my number, so I calmed down a bit and checked my diary.  Normally I'm a little cautious about who's playing when I accept a gig, especially if it's a long one, and especially if traveling is involved.  I'm even pickier with travel companions.  But, in the spirit of trying new things, I told myself to just plug in my earphones if necessary and just play, enjoy going to somewhere new in the middle of a school week.  The next day I found out who else was playing and I breathed a sigh of relief, then did a little happy dance.  Tuesday morning found me then at the airport, bound for Mt Isa.

First New Thing: traveling Qantas for the first time in years and years.  More than that though was the commuter feel of the flight.  No-one seemed to be going on holidays, Mt Isa is pretty much a working town.  And I've never had to catch 2 planes to a gig before!

New Thing #2: hitching a ride on a rubber-band plane.  This was a slightly larger one than they would normally use - ours was a 10-seater instead of the usual 5-seater.  I loved it.  Felt much more like real flying.  From reading a detective book a long time ago, I was prepared for the "how much does your luggage weigh?" and "how much do you weigh?" questions.

The pilot, our co-passengers, the miners and everyone else we came across - they were all so friendly, warm, and welcoming.  I felt not quite like a part of the family, not quite an honoured guest, but somewhere in between.

It was about a 20 minute flight to the mine.  The airstrip is about halfway between the actual mine and the village.  We found out those are 20km apart because they know if there's an acid explosion it can travel up to 19km.  The village used to be an actual town named Monument (there's an Aboriginal sacred site visible from most of the town), and it's mostly blocks of 4 rooms and 2 bathrooms, with some houses.  It's basic, but people are there to work.  There is a big emphasis on health and safety.  Health facilities (a gym, pool, tennis courts, lumpy football field) as well as nutritional advice and self-test breathalysers surrounded us.  Rules are strict and enforced - failing to wear a seat belt, driving over the speed limit, and turning up to a shift over the limit are all instant-sacking offences. 

The gig itself was in 2 bits, a set for those just waking up for the night shift, then a longer set for those coming off a shift.  The idea was a black-tie theme night, and we were the first live band they've flown in.  I wasn't really sure what to expect.  We definitely weren't doing the 'oh my special day must be perfect and I just want classy strings playing just classical music' thing.  We played a mix of classical and not - like tangos, ACDC, Beatles, jazz, Billy Joel, Queen.  And they seemed to love it!  We were warned the first crew would probably be not so enthusiastic - they would have just woken up and knew they were missing out on the 'real' party, and were just about to work - but I got a nice vibe from them, some took photos and some hung around to listen.  The second crew were definitely enthusiastic.  The black-tie idea was embraced by some, and given a nod by others.  Most there were just coming in from working, were still in their fluoro work gear but added a bow-tie.  A few sparkles, a few broken glasses, nice food.  Many people came up and complimented us.

We went to the bar area afterwards and had some drinks, played ping pong, foosball (for one goal - then the ball was lost and a very Aussie scene ensued), and pool.  Standing around gossiping about other musos, we were then approached by a miner in a yellow, acid-resistant suit.  A bit of chat later, and it came out that most of the miners were out in the beer garden and thought we were too posh to have a party.  Acid Suit Man said, he was pretty sure we would have gone to uni, so we'd be fine for a bit of drinking.  And so we got to know the miners a little better.

I must admit, I was quite anti-mine before this.  The destruction of our country is not something I can readily support.  However, from the first plane flight onwards, I started to realise that this is life for so many people.  It's not an easy life - the work is dangerous, the locations are isolated, you're away from your family and friends for stretches of time - so the mines try to make it as bearable as possible.  There was a real vibe of trying to look after the workers in body and soul.

Aside from that, I felt so much a part of the Real Australia.  The red soil, big blue skies, flies, that feeling of being so far in the middle of the country (relative to Brisbane anyway!), the silence, emus and kangaroos and all sorts of birds, and the people.  Greetings are standard and often sound like Carl Barron's "Owzitgarn".  People work out how to do things without a shopping centre down the street - like Luke's cufflinks made from nuts and bolts.  Acid Suit Man's suit he'd stapled together that afternoon - I wish I'd got a photo before it was ripped off him (he only just avoided a face plant - yes, this was a tame night).  Interesting fact: you have to be clean-shaven to work.  You can tell if someone's going home the next day as they won't have shaved.


Ooh, New Thing # whatever we're up to - I don't normally do drinks with lots of people I don't know.  Our other violinist had an early night so he could study, but photos were taken of me, Viola Man, Dani (our cellist), Luke (cufflinks) and Acid Suit Man (Tyson).

I think I like this less-composed photo better!

2 comments:

  1. Hello Ms Bananna
    We all had a great time that night thanks for coming out.
    Tyson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tyson!
      We all had a blast - thank you so much for having us :)
      Anna

      Delete