If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Saturday 9 June 2012

The Mount Isa Gig - Part 2

On Tuesday, I flew with a quartet to Mt Isa for a gig.  We were a morale-boosting team, effectively, and played for one of the phosphate mine's regular theme nights.  The day after the gig, we were due to be flown by the mine to Townsville - another new place for me.  As breakfast finished at 7 and the bus to the airstrip didn't leave til 9:30, we had a few hours to look around.  The first thing I noticed was the safety record sign.  I don't know if 20 days is a long time in mine safety (can anyone tell me?) but it was definitely a reminder of the sort of environment in which we found ourselves. 

A couple of the miners offered us a look around the mine, but it turned out we needed a 4 hour induction...  The boss, though, organised for us to be driven out to the mine and have a look around, even though we wouldn't be allowed in. 


Cue very Australian scenery.  Tuesday's skies were nothing but blue, but Wednesday had a fair bit of cloud cover.  The sun peeking through made for some fabulous colours!  I kept my eyes peeled for wildlife, but only saw a kangaroo.

The mine itself was impressive - all solar powered too.  The gypsum stacks were so large, the cranes look tiny at the top.  And because of the layout of the land, and the location, as soon as there are lightning strikes as close as 50km they have to pack up.

One last shot of the town - love that red soil and blue sky!

So, mine visit = New Thing #1 for Wednesday.  New Thing #2 was flying in a Fokker 100 to Townsville.  Giggle.  This was much bigger than Tuesday's rubber band plane, this had about 100 seats.  With all these mine folk knocking off, effectively, I was still surprised by the amount of alcohol I saw being consumed on this flight.

Our flight arrived in Townsville about midday.  We all reconnected with the world and didn't talk until we picked up our bags (absolutely no phone service for a whole day).  Our flight to Brisbane wasn't until 8:10pm - the last for the day and obviously the cheapest flight.  Townsville airport doesn't have lockers.  Thankfully, Mikey was just going to study, so we caught a taxi to town, and parked ourselves inside the Townsville Brewery.

After lunch and a game of Scrabble, Viola Man and I set off for Castle Hill - after the obligatory "I'm in Townsville" photo.

Yes, it's winter, but Townsville in the early afternoon is not all that cold.  In the sun, and climbing a steep hill, it was actually quite warm.  Super skinny jeans, long socks, black top and converse were maybe not the greatest choice.  Some workmen we passed even laughed at us, saying "it's really steep!"  But it was worth it - a fabulous view of the water and islands.

We came down for a much-needed coffee, then walked along the Strand and back.

Our flight home...well, we knew we were in for not great treatment.  Jetstar has a reputation, and it is not good.  They are so picky about carry-on size!  Our violin cases were about 10cm too long (although much narrower).  Mikey took out his violin, showed that it was acceptable, and said he would take his violin on board like that.  Viola Man did the same.  I took a deep breath and trusted my case (knowing I'm a bit clumsy and would be likely to run into something).  I then chewed my lip for the entire waiting time and flight time.  The cello always has to be checked in, so Mikey and Viola Man had a jam session.  No one complained - in fact, while waiting at baggage claim, some other passengers started dancing.  Which was great, but if I'm flown somewhere for a gig again, I'll stipulate that I will not fly Jetstar.  Other than that though, this was a great 2nd day.  What an experience!

2 comments:

  1. Apart from the C**pstar treatment, it sounds like you had a great trip to some new places. I hope all your instruments have recovered from the journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes... I was tempted to alter their magazine to something less kiddie-appropriate but restrained myself. As far as I know, instruments are ok thank goodness. And apart from those few hours, it was a great trip!

      Delete