If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Sunday 3 June 2012

The 'Y' Party

A friend from work celebrated a 'significant' birthday this week, and held a party today in honour of the event.  As her name begins with Y, there was a 'Y' theme to the party.  I think this is the first time I've actually accepted an invitation to a themed party, and it's definitely the first time I went dressed in theme.  I contemplated the easy option of a splash of yellow.  I own one yellow item, a Lorna Jane singlet in lemon yellow.  So I turned to the dictionary for some other options, not wanting to turn to Y-fronts either.  Yaks, yashmaks and Yankees came to mind, but yuppie stuck in my head.  When it came time to dress in this theme, I was relieved in one way that I had all items readily available...a little disturbed that yuppie was so close to normal for me.  Then, I googled yuppie images.  I realised I should really be taking an eco bag filled with fresh pasta and organic produce, wearing running shoes while packing the heels in the eco bag, wearing glasses and listening to a Sony walkman as much as possible.  It felt wrong enough to be wearing a business skirt on a Sunday, and I just couldn't bring myself to wear running shoes with stockings.  I forgot to wear glasses, but I did plug in my earphones as much as possible.

Thankfully, when I arrived the host picked I was a yuppie straight away.  Probably as there was another yuppie already there, much more successfully yuppie-like.  She even had the old phone and large glasses, and kept yelling into the phone "Sell!  Sell!  Sell!". 

There was a lot of yellow visible, a very cute and hungry bumble bee, someone covered in yarn, the daughter of the host (incidentally, the same child who wore Outfit Number 1 on Wednesday) was Yoda, and eventually I worked out the preponderance of flannel shirts indicated yobbos.  Apologies to any flannel-shirt-wearing non-yobbos reading this.  Yosemite Sam, Yoko Ono and Wile E. Coyote (geddit??) also made appearances.  Next time (and yes, I won't pike on the next themed invitation), I'll be more adventurous.

Oops!  Forgot today's photo:

A string of flowers in bright colours, adorning the balcony at today's party.  They changed so much with the afternoon light, clouds and sunlight.

No comments:

Post a Comment