If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Thursday 21 June 2012

The Muesli Fixings

For at least a year now, I've made my own muesli.  Oats, psyllium husks, goji berries, and nuts.  It's the nut mix that makes each batch different, but today I went really different.  Not just a roast nut mix (depending on if I go to Woolworths or Coles this might be just nuts or it might have dried cranberries or sultanas as well), but I added roast nibble mix as well.  The thing with the mixed nuts is the size of nut - for something like muesli I prefer them all smallish, almonds being at the larger end of the spectrum.  However, this mix has brazil nuts and walnuts as well which are a little bigger.  Anyway, the seedy addition not only has seeds (which I sometimes add myself) but extra roast almonds as well.  I love roast almonds.

So, my muesli recipe - today is the first time I came close to measuring the quantities so I hope you all feel special now - all amounts are approximate though:

3 cups rolled oats (the organic variety are nice and soft)
1/3 cup each psyllium husks and goji berries
1/3 roasted nibble mix
2/3 cup roasted mixed nuts

Stir lots. 

My breakfast (if I'm having muesli) is 1/3 cup muesli, 1/2 cup natural/Greek yoghurt, a tablespoon protein powder, and a generous sprinkling of cardamom and cinnamon, or cinnamon and nutmeg.  And coffee of course, or Vitality Tea if it's a school morning.

And, just because my parents are staying... A doggie photo.  I wouldn't say she is more enthusiastic about being photographed this time - more, I was baking this morning.  Unless something else really exciting was happening, she was sitting either on my left and staring longingly up at me, or right in front of the oven and staring longingly at the oven or at me.  I couldn't get a photo with the tail-wag though.  Every time she rejoined me from another activity, she did a little skid on the cork tiles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment