If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Saturday 6 October 2012

Shoe Storage

For a few years, the lower staircase has held a pair of shoes on each step.  Some of my students and friends can tell they're at the right door by the parade of shoes up the stairs.  Yes - I have many shoes.  Earlier this week I had my carpets cleaned, and I discovered I had more shoes even than I thought.  They kept popping up!  Although it's nice to be referred to as 'The Shoe Lady', it's also nice to be able to vacuum without stopping frequently to move a pair of shoes.  I've been on the lookout for a suitable cupboard or shelves, but then - I opened the hall cupboard and had a light bulb moment.  This would make a lovely shoe cupboard - and it's free! 

Today was beautiful - it seemed my Facebook newsfeed was chockers with 'perfect day' posts.  Instead of doing something outdoors (and, really, between about 9:30 and 4 it was rather warm), I chose to reorganise my hall cupboard in favour of shoes.  I think this was a good choice.

Apart from the obvious benefits of having one place for my shoes (as opposed to me thinking 'Is that pair beside the keyboard? Next to the drawers? On the stairs?'), this central location is near my room.  So when I'm choosing outfits, I don't have to trek up and down stairs until I have a suitable pair.  And it's forced me to do a bit of a clean-out.  I have quite a stash of expired things - sunscreens, painkillers, cold and flu tablets, and prescription medications.  I found some interesting things (for a hall cupboard) - like electrical cords, a drill, bubble wrap, candles, curtain rings, and a whole lot more. 

My shoes don't take up the whole cupboard, so towels and first aid will still live there.  And there is a stash of shoes I will be giving away at the next swap.  Not the greatest of photos, but it's rather an awkward place if you want to take a photo, short of climbing over the ledge (although that was tempting).

Yesterday's photo:

Again, not a great photo.  Yesterday's gig was wedding and reception, with the reception at Customs House - and who can resist a photo of the Story Bridge?

Today's photo:

Because today was so hot, I took pity on my plants and gave them an extra watering this evening - and spotted this little caterpillar enjoying my parsley.  Good for him.

2 comments:

  1. I have 3 small, deep shelves in the wardrobe which hold my shoes. When going through them recently, I was a little dismayed by how many of them were work shoes! But then, I had just as many ballet flats ... I wish I could have a proper shoe cupboard like yours where you can see everything at a glance. Hubby has a proper shoe cupboard but, as he (naturally) has bigger feet, only his shoes fit in that cupboard! Me jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should swap shoe storage spaces!!! This year I've been far less boxed-in about what constitutes a Work Shoe - doing a different outfit every school day has forced me to pair different shoes, and so far I haven't had anyone tell me off :)

    ReplyDelete