If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Friday 18 May 2012

The Running Shoes

It became apparent recently that I needed new running shoes.  I'm not sure this has ever become apparent to me before - I'm one of those conscientious people who know that every 500km or so you should replace your running shoes, so I replace my running shoes every 500km or so.  This is the first time my shoes have really told me it's time to move on.  The most recent pair have been Brooks, but the 3 before that were all Asics, the same model and size.  I thought I might branch out and order a pair online.  After a rather painful end to Sunday's run, on Monday I went online.  I thought I was all set, when I realised the online store dealt in UK sizes whereas my shoe displayed the US size.  Hm.  I knew the shoebox would most likely include the relevant sizes, but did I still have it?  Probably not...

Monday night was a short (10km) painful run.  Tuesday I tried my last pair of shoes, hoping I hadn't worn through them, and it was the most painful 13km of my life (so far).  I couldn't even run the last 2 km, tried to run for a 100m here and there but it just wasn't happening.  Today, I went to a real store.

A few people had recommended I try the Nike Airs.  That sounds simple, but there are many different varieties.  I tried on 3 pairs - one actually hurt the inside of my ankle, but the other 2 were both contenders.  As I do mostly road running for long distances, the salesman really strongly recommended the option with more cushioning.  It was closer in feel to the Asics too.  And they have the option of the running chip, so I can track my distance/speed/calories - as seen on my favourite crime shows (you never know when it will come in handy).  More to the point, check out the colour scheme!  The fluoro pink will surely make me run faster, and the trademark tick is in my favourite colour.  I can't wait to run tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment