If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Sunday 6 May 2012

Vapiano

You know how my last post was made at about 2am this morning?  Well, I had to be up at 7am...  Admittedly, my original forecast for the day's activities meant leaving home at 8:30 this morning and returning home at 7:30 this evening.  I realised I could come home between church this morning and the rehearsal, but it was still a rest-free day.  I've been feeling in need of toothpicks to hold up my eyelids since about 9am.  It was a Many Coffee Day.

After the rehearsal (for Handel's oratorio, Theodora - performance is in St John's Cathedral this coming Saturday, 7:30pm), I had a bit of time spare in the city.  As my brother is also playing in Theodora, I shouted him coffee.  We were going to go to a certain coffee chain...But Vapiano was closer.  Phew.  It's located just off the Queen St Mall, in the bit of Albert St that leads in the direction of the Botanic Gardens.  A fairly new building development that also houses Kathmandu, a tea house, and a sushi restaurant, I felt like a cool person just walking towards it.

Vapiano does things differently (how perfect for my blog!).  As we approached the register, we were greeted by a friendly staff member who asked if we'd dined there before.  Total newbies, he gave us each a chip card (like a credit card) and invited us to the bar to order coffees.  How this works: whatever you order is put on the card, when you leave you present the card and they then let you know how much to pay.  Just don't lose the card.

I'd had lunch at 11:30, and I knew I wouldn't be eating until about 7:30, so I was hoping to have a little something to eat.  Hoping to have a little something vaguely healthy to eat.  Without actually ordering something real (like pizza or pasta), I was left with only sweet things.  I almost didn't give in, but I mentioned the presence of tiramisu... My brother was unable to resist, so I opted for a Creme di Fragola.  It included strawberries - they're healthy, right?


I like the red of the decor, and a wall of black and white prints - love it.  I had a moment of "I wonder if that would work in my place..." Probably not though.  I also had my brother take photos.  Hm.  Really hard to keep a straight face.  Sometimes, really hard!

Good coffee, good decor, good wait staff.  Will visit again for real food.  Ooh, and they have real basil in pots on the tables (just not on the comfy cool red-cushioned area tables).

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed my last visit to Vapiano too. Perhaps we should go for lunch one Sunday or maybe we need a girls night out?? Your dessert has fruit - that's definitely a bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, good ideas :)
    When the girl who thinks I have 5 husbands was in grade 1, I asked her what her favourite food was. There followed a lengthy description of a chocolate sundae, which finished with "...and a strawberry on top - that's fruit, so it's healthy!" I like her philosophy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you think lunch and / or a girls night out is a good idea. I swear when your five husbands student graduates, those of us who are familiar with her will need to attend.

    ReplyDelete