If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Sunday 1 July 2012

The Gold Coast Half-Marathon

...Or, things that make me happy:

#1:  Going Away (if only for a night).  It is especially exciting (or happiness-inducing) when associated with a running event - the general buzz that surrounds these, as well as the mass of like-minded enthusiasts, makes for a great atmosphere.

#2:  Beating the Queue.  Once checking in (to a more-budget-than-expected-hotel, but blessedly close to the race precinct), we had a practice walk to the start line, then went back to the pub - it was on the way home, after all.  We were about 3rd in the queue.  By the time we ordered, the line went out the door and then some.  Dinner in a Gold Coast pub on a Saturday night is a slice of the roil Straya.  The IGA slogan, "the way the locals like it", came to mind, but there were also many runners.  Some had done the 10km on Saturday (some as a warm-up) and others were just there for the half and full marathons.  A large group commandeered several tables next to us and were a stereotypical bunch of runners. 

#3:  Although I was really tired, I couldn't sleep (heart rate was up around the 100 bpm mark) - but having a store of music in my head was really helpful.  Unfortunately, I had a mariachi tune on repeat in there as well, but I tried to drown it out as much as possible with Rachmaninov's Isle of the Dead, which is my sleep music.  Even so, I had very little sleep - I was still wide awake after 11, woke several times during the night, and the alarm went at 4:20. 

#4:  Knee Pain Disappearing.  I went running Thursday and Friday, and my left knee developed a weird, new pain, which didn't respond to stretching or rolling-out.  I was resigning myself to a substantial stretch of walking, but by Saturday evening the pain was minimal, and when I woke Sunday morning it was gone. 

Pre-race nerves. 
(Not sure what the weird light is at the bottom corner of these photos, we think it's something to do with the flash...)


#5:  Amenities.  After leaving my bag at the left luggage place (no queue), I then joined the rather lengthy line for the toilets.  I was in this queue for about 40 minutes.  I actually reached a toilet at 5:58am - the race began at 6am.  Yes.  This made me happy.

Bring it ON!
#6:  Watching the sun rise over the water.  How good is that?!  Especially when you're not just in pajamas, hands wrapped around a cup of coffee, slippers on your feet, maybe on a balcony...or still inside because it's still a bit chilly...  But running.  Love it.  And, seeing perfect reflections in the canals, birds waking and having a morning fly - beautiful.

#7:  Preparation.  Little things and big things.  I've changed a few things about my longer running procedure that have made life easier.  I now put pre-emptive Bandaids on each foot at problem spots (I have weird feet).  I prefer to run in a cotton tank.  I carry lip balm for when my lips are dry but I'm not thirsty.  I wear a cap if I'll be running during daylight.  I know how far I can go before I need a drink (about 7.5km is good).  I am immensely glad I did the practice run on Monday.  Any thoughts of that being too soon beforehand, or not a good idea to run the full length at all beforehand, vanished as my brain recognised features.  Although it seemed to go quicker today (well, it actually did), I know that was partly because it was not the first time I was seeing these landmarks.  Not only that, but I knew, quite consciously, that I could run this distance. 

#8:  Shirts.  I was boring, and just wore my newest Lorna Jane.  Shirts I saw that made me smile included: Like A Boss; You Should Quit Now While I'm Ahead; and Crossfit Foxes.  The last was one I kept seeing as we kept overtaking each other. 

#9:  Running.  Well, duh, but this is a big one.  When I first decided to do this, I figured that a time of about 2 hours 10, maybe 15, would be respectable.  But then I realised that I'm not a fast distance runner.  About 6 weeks ago, I stopped trying to be fast, and started trying not to walk.  I feel this has been hugely successful.  Now I only walk if I'm in pain - and today, I was in no pain.  Instead of having a time goal, I really wanted to run the whole way, and walk only for drink stops (so, not stopping movement at all).  I accepted that if my knees were really sore - and, from experience, I knew this would probably happen - that some walking would be involved.  But it was only in the last 3 km that I even noticed my knees, and it was definitely not bad enough for me to need to even think about walking.  And if I did happen to start to think that thought, I'd see someone ahead of me who didn't look as fit as I feel, and I'd keep running.  Having trained on a route with some hills, I am more inclined to go faster up hills - this wasn't so important on the way out, but was really noticeable on the return.  The last bridge (these were responsible for the slight rises in the route) I overtook many others, and was so happy I really lengthened my stride on the way down - which was also a spot chockers with photographers.  I also knew that, by doing a steadier pace throughout, I'd have more left for a stronger finish.  I didn't want to be one of those who starts really strong and cocky and is walking the finish.  Instead, I could feel my pace pick up in the last quarter, and I was really running the last 400m with a big sprint finish.  And even better (yes there's more) - the slowest pace marker was 2 hours 20, and I only saw them right at the very end, crossing the line on her heels.

#10:  Cheering Onlookers.  Being a fairly solitary runner, this surprised me.  But seeing kids in pajamas and dressing gowns, and people holding signs, and people clapping (or using clappers) really made me smile.  And the signs!  U Make it Look Easy; Smiling Makes You Run Faster; and, my favourite (my brother's too), Go Random Stranger, Go!  The crowds were much thicker for the last 2 km, and hearing people cheer on strangers made me quite emotional.  Especially right at the end when it was obvious they were cheering me - it was all I could do to hold back the tears.  Not just the feeling of total strangers cheering me on of course, but knowing that I've run this, further than ever before, when a few months ago 10 km was a long run, and oh hello running high...

#11:  Ministry of Funny Runs (followed by a coast-ful of funny walks).  I have often thought, I hope I don't look that weird when I run.  In fact, one of my excuses for not being a runner (before I stopped caring what other people thought) was that I probably looked silly.  So, someone is probably saying the same thing about me right now, but I saw some interesting running styles.  I don't mind so much when I overtake and that's it.  But when a funny runner is ahead of me the whole time - what's with that?!  The funniest I saw was the slap-footed, elbows out, hands by hips run.  By a guy with serious hair (which always caused 'Give me a head of hair/long, beautiful hair' to start up in my head).  I'm quite thankful for my body shape, with hips over knees so my thighs don't have to skirt around each other.  And afterwards, seeing a whole lot of fit-looking people limping around Southport - even if they weren't wearing a finisher's shirt.  On a more serious note though, watching the marathon runners... whoa.  When they had about 15 to go, most were still going ok, if a little over it, but you could see some doing the knee limp.  When I was waiting by the finish line for my brother to finish, I saw a man do the really serious knee limp - arms flailing and you just felt sick watching.  20m from the end, he collapsed.  The announcer called for sports medicine to the finish line, but 2 other runners helped him up and practically carried him over the line.  Huge cheers and tears from the crowd.
Finisher's Shirt and Medal

#12:  Achievement (even if it's for others).  This was my brother's 2nd marathon, and he wanted to do it in under 4 hours.  So when I hadn't seen him yet at 3 hours 55... and then 3 59, the announcer called out that it was less than a minute before 4 hours, and all these runners ran!  I spotted my brother, cheered him on, and got a bit emotional as I knew he'd made it.  With, I discovered later, 10 seconds to spare.  And that was the gun time so his net time would have been faster. 

#13:  Being Part of Something Big.  There were 10 thousand people doing the half marathon.  And it sounded like it!  There were parts where it was fairly quiet... except for the slapslapslapslap of thousands and thousands of feet hitting the road.  And although it thinned out a little, it took many kilometres for that to happen, and it was still relatively thick the whole way.

#14:  Feeling Sore.  For a good reason.  After the practice run, I had slightly sore knees the next morning (going downstairs only) but was fine by the afternoon.  Today, I have sore knees and hips and calves and ankles and arms.  Chafing was not as bad though, mostly because I didn't carry my phone this time, and the preemptive Bandaids were welcome but not 100% effective.  I'm not bleeding anywhere though and I think with a good stretch over the next day or 2 I'll be back to normal in no time.  Having a little nap this evening I could feel my feet and lower legs twitching and this I found immensely satisfying.

But for next time...  I was inspired by those who were running and raising money.  So, next time will be not only a different location (it's a secret - but I wonder if anyone will guess?) but I'll sign up for everyday hero and make someone else happy, too.

1 comment:

  1. Well done! Nice post and awesome result.

    ReplyDelete