If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Friday 27 July 2012

The Campaign

Last week, Queensland's premier, Campbell Newman, cut two state-funded school music programmes, Fanfare and MOST.  The reason given was financial.  I'm not disputing the need for a balanced budget, but taking away benefits from children, who are unable to vote, is not on my Good Things To Do list.  When I wrote about the movie Hugo earlier there was mention of the importance of these programmes:  without dreams, we have no vision; without vision, we have no future.

I know I am biased when it comes to music, but there is so much evidence supporting its benefits in brain development.  And we keep those benefits throughout life.  Without presenting a scientific paper on it (that's not what this post is about, after all), my top reason why music should be important in education is that the corpus callosum (the bit that connects the 2 hemispheres of the brain) is larger in musicians compared to non-musicians.  And all that left-brain/right-brain connectivity leads to better students overall. 

Every student I have had participate in Fanfare has really enjoyed it.  They have a common goal as an ensemble, their performance skills improve, their musical skills improve, and they really have fun.  MOST students get such a buzz out of being involved.  It doesn't matter where you are from in Queensland, if your school has music, you can be a part of it.  Inclusion is important.

I discovered during the week that not everyone knows about the Save Fanfare and MOST campaign.  Even my grade 12 students were keen to do something, even though they've had this benefit throughout their schooling.  Today, then, I sent an email to the parents of students (and to the adult students I teach) with information about what they can do:  a link to the e-petition; and the premier's email address for those who wanted to write to him.  Hopefully the upcoming Fanfare concert will not be the last.

Today's photo:

I am amazed by tomato plants.  I sowed some seeds ages ago, didn't see anything for a very long time, and then suddenly, that green thing turned out to smell like fresh tomatoes.  Unfortunately, that was eventually investigated a little too thoroughly by the dog, and was then part of an unexpected cull.  After I had to farewell my favourite gardenia plant, I then noticed familiar leaves growing... and I have another tomato plant.  Yippee!  During the week I spotted those sweet yellow flowers, and this morning I took advantage of what sunlight I could as it was glinting off those hairy stalks.

No comments:

Post a Comment