If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Monday 9 July 2012

Lips and Leftover Lamb

I'm a bit addicted to lip things.  Every bag seems to have at least one gloss or balm within it.  And it's not that I'm obsessed with how I look, it's more the feeling of dry lips I find uncomfortable - although if I haven't applied anything, sometimes I can catch a glimpse of a face to scare small children, so it's as much for them as for my comfort.  Even though it feels like I have lip balms coming out my ears, occasionally I'll discover my bag of choice is lacking in this department.  And so my collection grows.

When I needed to replenish my supply of silk oil (for the hair), the only package available was a promotional package including lip balm.  So I didn't really have a choice.  Silk oil lasts forever so tonight was the first I needed to use the new bottle - and I tested the lip balm as well.  Oh. My.  Most amazing balm in my possession.  No colour, so I'll use it more to condition, but it is just wonderful.  Who would have thought?!  All organic (a big plus), but made in the USA (transport - bit of a downer) and no SPF (also a bit of a downer - I'll have to use some other sunblock method as well).  But wow, this one is a winner.

After Thursday, I still have plenty of leftover roast lamb.  Tana Ramsey has a recipe for rogan josh using leftover roast lamb and this has been my first opportunity to give it a go.  I would be pretty happy to have roast lamb more often in order to have leftover lamb rogan josh.  It's really delicious, and super easy too. 

Just heat 2 tablespoons groundnut oil in a large pan over medium-low heat, add 2 medium onions and 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and diced, and fry till softened.  Add a red chilli (deseeded and finely chopped), 2 teaspoons curry powder, 1 teaspoon of ground turmeric, 3 teaspoons garam masala, 2 teaspoons each ground coriander and ground cumin; stir with the onions to form a paste.  Add 500g leftover cooked leg of lamb (diced into bite-sized pieces) and any leftover sauce from the roast; stir to mix thoroughly. 

Add about 300g tinned chopped tomatoes - adjust according to how much leftover sauce you had, and how runny you want your curry.  Also stir through 4 tablespoons natural yoghurt, and simmer gently 8-10 minutes, until the lamb is heated through.  Stir through 2-3 tablespoons hot and spicy mango chutney (adjust according to taste).  Add 3 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander.

Serve the lamb on a bed of rice, with an extra tablespoon of coriander sprinkled on top; scatter with 2 tablespoons lightly toasted flaked almonds.

As we know, I'm not a fan of rice, so I went global and used some leftover Turkish bread from Saturday night instead.  And I'm all out of flaked almonds so you just have to use your imagination - good thing I'm not requiring imagination for the crusty bread as well then!

Today's photo:

Not terribly artistic (as hoped yesterday), but it delighted me to see a rainbow as I got home from the gym, arching over the whole neighbourhood.  It's been a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment