If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Thursday 5 July 2012

Mint Sauce and Dinner Guests

Tonight I had several people from church over for dinner.  Three had been for dinner here before, but three had not - in fact it was the first social thing with those three, I think.  After finding out the dietary requirements for one guest (lactose intolerant, not a fan of seafood, allergic to prawns, Nando's mild sauce is too spicy) I decided to do a roast.  Thank goodness there were no vegetarians!

I worked out this afternoon that the last (and first) time I used my roasting tray was 4 years ago.  Needless to say, I'm not a big roaster.  I think I could get into the habit a bit more though.  It's so simple, so comforting, relatively healthy, so aromatic.  Being not in the habit, though, meant I was a tad nervous looking for a bit of meat to stick in the oven for a few hours and still be big enough to feed 7 people.  Lamb was the best option available.  It looks like I'll be having lamb for a little while - I remember seeing a recipe for rogan josh using leftover roast lamb so that might be Sunday...

Jamie Oliver promised to hold my hand through the whole process, which was lovely - except he didn't warn me about bursts of steam (which looks like smoke) escaping from the oven every now and then.  Maybe I need to have the seals checked, but this caused a few panicked temperature changes.  Eventually, the lamb was cooked and the roast vegetables roasted.  The gravy stayed quite runny - we were at the stage where everything else was good to go so I didn't hang about with too much cornflour.  Being a lamb roast, though, mint sauce was suggested.  I have a healthy mint plant at the courtyard door - how easy can it get?  Now that I think of it though, I don't recall actually eating any... I hope it tasted ok.  I'll have some leftovers, no doubt.  (Speaking of leftovers, a couple provided dessert... drool... just polished off the leftovers while writing this.  So I can wash up sooner, of course.  Raspberry and white chocolate croissant pudding.  Just in case you're wondering.  Recipe is on its way...).  Meanwhile, mint sauce is really unattractive and un-photogenic.  My apologies.

Dinner was wonderful.  For starters, it prompted me to do something with my holiday.  Well, for a day at least.  I'm still in the post-goal-achievement lull and feeling a bit down, so having people over was a great incentive to clean.  And these are great people, just having them around is good for the soul - great company, interesting conversation (I wish I could have videoed the evening - it felt rude to put quotes into my phone all night), and the sort of people around whom I can be Me.  I discovered we are all coffee drinkers - not that this is a surprise, but this was the first confirmation of fact.  My coffee machine has not had so much work before!  Yes, that is a Pride and Prejudice mug.  Given to me by a niece and nephew for Christmas, last week I posted a photo to Facebook of it, with coffee of course, in front of the tv with the menu screen for the BBC 6-episode series.  So many people liked it, and one of them got to use it tonight.  We're thinking of having a Pride and Prejudice evening...

Today's photo:

Separating the bulbs of garlic for roasting, I noticed the pinkness in the skin looks like veins.  After a bit of peeling, they look so delicate and fragile.

No comments:

Post a Comment