If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Thursday 12 July 2012

Reclaiming the Jug

I have quite a suggestible brain.  This has its benefits - jet lag is almost non-existent, for example.  It also has its drawbacks, often in the form of food envy.  With some people, I know I have to find out what they're ordering before I even think about what I want, as I know I'll just end up wanting what they have.  So, the final chapter in the book I just read (One of Our Thursday's is Missing, by Jasper Fforde, in case you're wondering), had a mention of lamb risotto.  What a good idea for the rest of the roast lamb, said my brain.  You'll be please to know, this is the very last of the lamb. 

The roast lamb also came with gravy (well, I had to make it, but you know what I mean).  I don't have a fancy-pants gravy boat, so just used the normal measuring jug.  On several occasions in the last week, I've looked for the jug in the cupboard, then by the sink, then had a 'where on earth is it?' moment before I've remembered it's holding the gravy, in the fridge.  Tonight I had the brilliant idea of using up the leftover gravy in the risotto, thereby reclaiming the jug.  Well, it turned out to be a brilliant idea, but I was a little wary at first. 

The aroma - overwhelmingly delicious.  And the richness of flavour - yum.  Not the most appealing photos though...  If you're a foodie you'll probably tell me it's not a true risotto, but it's My Version.  Which is forever changing, but this is the first time I've used gravy as part of the liquid component.

I was about half-way through cooking before I thought of adding the broccoli - it's getting to That Stage in the veggie drawer.  And I like adding sweet potato and pumpkin (in this case, pre-roasted) and getting them to that mushy state.

I made tonight's dinner fairly early, as I had a mariachi rehearsal to attend.  My parents are staying, and assured me when I got home that it had been really delicious - thankfully they had left enough for me to have dinner, and still freeze 2 portions.  My freezer is getting nice and full again.

Today's photo:

Everybody sing, now: raindrops on roses... next, to find a kitten!

No comments:

Post a Comment