If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Monday 15 April 2013

Drink Your Greens

I grew up hearing "Eat your greens".  I'm pretty sure I am not alone in this.  Now that I'm an adult and have control over what I eat, I think I'm still pretty good at eating my greens.  Last year I started trying to eat at least one packet of baby spinach each week, as well as the other greens that make it to my fridge.  Last week when visiting Jeannie, she made me drink a greens drink.  It wasn't the worst thing ever.  And the smug feeling!  Through the roof.

My next 6 weeks are going to be quite massive.  A really big concert in just under 3 weeks, and a hilly half marathon 2 weeks after that, and another concert a week after that.  I had resigned myself to being a social shut-in, but then I thought I might need an extra nutrition boost as well.  Greens drinks popped into my head.
I checked out the options in the health food store on Saturday, and chose the same brand as my protein powder (Tony Sfeirs).  It's certified organic, and contains barley grass, Spirulina, Chlorella, kelp, and Hesperidin.  Don't you just feel healthy reading those words?!  I won't bore you with all the health benefits, but the list is long.  I keep it relatively concentrated, using about 3/4 cup water, and then drinking another glass of water to wash out the taste and to get any residue.  And I've found that if I'm cooking dinner or making tomorrow's lunch, it's easier to get it down as my brain is elsewhere.  Fingers crossed for a super-healthy term.

No comments:

Post a Comment