If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Thursday 4 April 2013

Lamb with Anchovies and Thyme

Holidays mean more time for cooking.  Easter means lamb.  Now, I'm not an anchovy enthusiast.  It's not just they're super salty - it's the hairiness that gets me.  However, I tend to trust cookbooks from reputable cooks.  So I took a deep breath, crossed my fingers, and hoped this was another of those 'you have to taste it' cases.  Thankfully, it was (thanks Nigella!).  Any more anchovy and it would have been too much, but this level was acceptable, adding more of a salty overtone rather than an "I'm eating anchovies" blast.
Ingredients:
1 x 15mL tablespoon olive oil (I just estimated, as per normal - next time I'll use less; and, should be garlic oil but I don't have any)
2 boneless lamb leg steaks (approx. 100g each)
4 anchovy fillets (conveniently, one small tin of Always Fresh)
leaves from a few sprigs fresh thyme, approx. 1 teaspoonful
1/4 cup rose wine (or, if you want to be true to Nigella, martini or cinzano rosato)

Method:
Warm the oil in a heavy-based, non-stick frying pan and fry the lamb for about 2 minutes per side, or until they are done to your liking.
Remove the steaks to a board lined with foil and turn up the ends so any meat juices that run out are contained.
Off the heat, add the anchovy fillets to the pan and stir until they start to break up and begin melting into the pan. (Warning: this made the oil spit a lot!  Which is why I'll use less oil next time).  Put it back on the heat and, still stirring, add the thyme leaves.
Add the wine/vermouth and let it bubble up in the pan, then pour in the juices that have collected from the lamb.  Place the steaks on a couple of plates.  Let the sauce continue boiling until it's thickened - 30 seconds should do it - and pour it over the waiting steaks.  Eat immediately and with gusto.  That is, after taking some shots with different Hipstamatic combinations...
Seriously quick and easy (apart from protecting yourself from spitting anchovy oil).  And the aroma from the thyme is just delicious.  I wilted a heap of baby spinach as a side - and followed it with some Easter egg.  As there was only one of me eating, I had leftovers the next day for lunch - but as a salad with greens and sliced pear.  Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment