If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Wednesday 3 April 2013

Hipstamatic

On Monday, I finally installed Hipstamatic.  (As a side note, this was the first app I've downloaded that isn't free).  As it was installing, a friend rang and was amazed I didn't already have it.  "It's such an Anna thing!" she said.  So true. 

Hipstamatic came about partly because I love photographic things, and partly because a good friend (also into photographic things) is a big fan of Hipstamatic.  Not just a big fan, but really good at it.  And several times recently we'd be talking and something would be mentioned about it... And I'd see some photos with different films...  And I really really wanted to be able to do those things myself.  Plus, one of the people I follow on Instagram shares her Hipstamatic photos there (not such a fan of that, actually, but the photos themselves are rather delicious).  On Monday, then, after finishing lunch, I couldn't not install this app.  And then I started playing with it.  Oh the delight! 

After many Hipstamatic discussions with this particular friend, I knew that I would need some time to get to know the product.  Holidays are perfect.  Monday afternoon, I spent about an hour taking selfies, switching films and lenses and flashes.  I then put this photo up on Facebook.

Unfortunately, most people seemed to think I'd coloured my hair.  Not so.  I haven't even put on lots of yellow makeup. 

I'm taking a few photos a day, delighting in the different effects of the combinations.  One lens I had put to the bottom of my preferred pile, but was being fair in taking the same shot with different options - and it looked fabulous!  It has redeemed itself.

The other perk (maybe) is the developing time.  None of this digital-age instant photo stuff.  Sometimes, I get impatient and just want to see it now.  But other times, I feel like I'm a teenager again, pressing a button and then not seeing the finished product for some time.  This photo I just took, then didn't look at it until a few hours later - I love surprises.
Of course, this means I will become even more annoying, not just taking photos, but taking a photo, then checking the effect, then changing lens or flash and taking another photo...  (Must remain socially aware...  Must remain socially aware..)

No comments:

Post a Comment