If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Friday 17 February 2012

GOMA Excursion

The balloon room
 Today I had a catch-up with a great friend and her 3 little ones.  This friend is one of those friends who has helped me through really tough parts in my life, we've had several years with little contact, but when we catch up we can just pick up where we left off.  She has a 3-and-a-half year old boy, and 1-and-a-half year old twin girls.  For our catch-up today we went to GOMA.


This was not my first visit to GOMA - pretty sure it was only my second, though.  The first was a few years ago, for a Picasso exhibition (i.e. I went for a reason, and it didn't matter where the exhibition was held as I would have gone regardless).

Sticker room
Several of my friends with small children have visited and said how wonderful it is for little people.  It really is.  Right now there is an exhibition by a Japanese artist which is rather 'Alice in Wonderland'-ish.  There was a room with circular, slightly convex mirrors on the walls.  A room (pictured above) with large spotted balloons and mirrors on opposite walls.  The best room though was the sticker room.  As you walk in you're handed circular stickers, and you can stick them anywhere.  Anywhere!!  So much fun.  They even had a laptop and a piano. 

On the lower floor was a magical fairyland.  Everything was made of sugar and inspired by the magic of fairy tales.  Personally, fairy tales bring to mind horror (being cooked by witches, anyone?) but the whole sweetness was very pretty.  Thankfully the exhibits were just out of reach of little hands.  My biggest laughs came from the computer room, though.  You (apparently) could make a magical fairyland of your own, take photos and make them into characters.... I was stationed with the twins.  "Name your magical land" says the prompt.  zzzzzzzzzz JCHCAO ca o oidhf kdf 'lifj ;aodif j comes up as the girls hit the keys randomly.  Hilarious.

Magical fairy land

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great outing! I love looking at peoples photos of the sticker room - each one reveals a new layer to the art work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was perfect for little kids! I love how the kids seem to disappear in the sticker room, you have to really search for them (or the sound) to see them :)

      Delete