If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Thursday 23 February 2012

The Workouts

I promised on Monday that I'd discuss the Turkish get-ups at a later date, so here we are.  Now, I admit that sometimes, as a teacher, I feel I need a little laugh, so I'll have a student attempt something that is guaranteed for a giggle.  This might be a coordination exercise (try raising your index and ring fingers simultaneously, for example), or watching a 5-yr-old draw a treble clef (circle circle circle mad look in their eyes as they plead for help on how to get this thing finished).  I suspect that personal trainers do the same thing.  Or it could just be that I'm not very coordinated.

On Monday, after 8 hectic rounds (which I didn't really, really feel until Tuesday and now I still can't even sit without feeling it), I still wasn't finished.  Turkish get-ups.  Trainer Dan showed me how one was done, complete with some tips.  It's meant to be done with a weight in one hand but, so that I didn't end up with a kettle bell on my head in 2 seconds, I had to take off a shoe.  The idea was to balance that on top of the hand that would normally hold it - but, as I said, I'm not very coordinated.  It's not even that, really, but that I have a very poor awareness of where I'm at if I'm not upright.  The shoe was not a success.  I realise it will be much easier if a professional describes this, so there is a link here if you want to watch.

The other new workout thing stemmed from a discussion last week about changing things in my workouts more.  Instead of just zoning out on a bike or a treadmill, the new regime involves more interval-style training.  Which is great, except it then took me at least 15 minutes once I woke up to decide exactly I'd do.  When I said I was going to write down some ideas in advance, Trainer Dan said he had loads of these types of workouts, and he emailed them through to me later that day.  Some of them are really, really nasty.  However, I've started working through the list and there are enough of them (about 15) that it will take me a few weeks to get a baseline of achievement.  I then feel free to do what I like, and the biggest plus is that I'm feeling much fitter already.

No comments:

Post a Comment