If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Thursday 16 February 2012

The Gym

One of the main reasons I wanted to be less predictable this year was because of the gym.  I used to spend a lot of time on the bike. 

My brief exercise history:  In primary school, I was a champion high-jumper.  And because I was tall, I wasn't too bad at the compulsory cross-country races.  Then we moved to Queensland and I was not longer tall, so only school sport lessons happened, mostly, until I was about 20.  I started walking in the mornings, for various reasons; this graduated to running, and I didn't notice any weather until the drought ended.  Then it seemed I couldn't exercise much due to rain.  I'm not a fan of walking or running around the neighbourhood in the rain.  Eventually, a friend gave my name to the gym and I signed up. 

Gym membership came with a special personal trainer deal - as this was my first time in a gym (seriously) I thought this would be wise.  Hello, Trainer Dan.  After the first 3 sessions I decided to keep going - the 'death session', although really hard, got the endorphins running around at a great rate, and I had already noticed a fitter me.  I have a regular-ish time slot which satisfies my need for routine, but I never know what I'll be doing.  So for the first 15 months or so, Monday morning PT session and usually 3 or so gym sessions (bike, sometimes rowing also), plus at least one run in the real world, was my exercise routine. 

About a month ago Trainer Dan asked how long a 5 km run would take me.  On a treadmill.  I'd been on a treadmill only once by choice - a 2 km run that nearly made me throw up.  So I worked up to 5 km, which feels so good.  I normally run 6.5 - 9 km in the real world, but treadmill running is all about the brain for me.  My next run was so good, I decided to incorporate a treadmill run in each week. 

My first 'weekly treadmill run' was last Thursday.  I was about 40m in when Trainer Dan came over to say hello... and to tell me to change things up a bit.  "Uh yeah, I'm on a treadmill..." I replied.  "Hm.  You need to change things up more". More interval training, like 400m runs interspersed with pushups, situps, squats, kettle bell swings, that sort of thing.  So that day I did 3 rounds of 400m runs, 10 situps, 10 pushups, then a 3 km run.  Next day, I was a little later than normal and was tempted to just do a 'zone out' session - after all, I don't always see Trainer Dan that late... but thought I should be disciplined.  5 rounds of 400m runs and 20 squats, then a 2 km run, and very glad I did - in the 2nd round I hear "Heels on the ground Anna" - sprung!

The next real run was not great... my brain kept thinking, this is more than 400m.  However, this morning I had limited time so just did 5 rounds of 400m runs, 10 half pullups, 20 squats.  This evening I went for a long run which felt so good - totally in the zone, and 5 minutes faster than the last time I ran that far (about 8.5/9 km, haven't put it into a reliable map yet).  The downside of doing workouts like this though, is that I wake up and then have to think for about 15 minutes about what I'll do.  My plan now is to write down some workout ideas, then all I have to do is pick one as I get to the gym, instead of having to think it up every time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment