If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Saturday 18 February 2012

New Food - Quark

I have often seen Quark in the general store when I'm ordering extras with the fruit and veg box, and never before been game enough to order it.  A friend has just started eating it and said it was the best stuff, so I thought I'd give it a go.  The apparent selling point of "it's just like cottage cheese" was quite a deterrent (having loathed that as a child, I tried it again last year - still foul), but a reassurance of "but it's so much nicer, not lumpy at all" made it better.  Plus it's meant to have some good stuff in there for your brain.  And who can go past that name?  Quark quark quark...

Looking at the nutrition information, there was a bit of a reorganisation of my plans for it.  10. 8 g protein and a whopping 9.6 g fat means I'll count it as a fat, not a protein.  (I had ordered the skim version but they were out of stock, and as I'd never had this before I didn't mind the substitution).

When I started eating it, my tastebuds-brain connections went a bit haywire but by the end of the meal they'd settled somewhat.  In taste it reminds me more of mascarpone than anything else, rich and creamy, so it will be a healthy dessert option for now.  Unless I get creative and do a dip or something. 

Do you eat quark?  Any recipe suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment