If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Sunday 5 August 2012

Chocolate Buttermilk Cake

I very nearly made a chocolate truffle cake for yesterday's birthday get-together.  But I made that last year, so I looked through a couple of cookbooks to see if anything else caught my eye.  (The truffle cake is amazing...).  In the Women's Weekly Chocolate Cakes book I found this recipe for a chocolate buttermilk cake, and the only ingredients I needed to buy were buttermilk and chocolate.  Plus, this is a layer cake - possibly my first ever.  I'm quite happy with the result.  I'm also looking forward to being able to run again so I can fit into my clothes again.

Recipe:
180g butter, chopped
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 1/2 cups (330g) caster sugar
4 eggs, separated
3/4 cup (110g) self-raising flour
1/3 cup (35g) cocoa powder
3/4 cup (180mL) buttermilk
chocolate filling:
400g dark eating chocolate, melted
250g butter, melted
1/2 cup (85g) icing sugar mixture

Preheat oven to moderate.  Grease deep 20cm-round cake pan, line the base with baking paper.
Beat the butter, vanilla and sugar until light and fluffy; beat in egg yolks, one at a time, until just combined.  Stir in sifted dry ingredients and buttermilk.
Beat egg whites in a clean small bowl until soft peaks form; fold into cake mix in 2 batches.  Pour cake mix into prepared pan.  Bake in oven about 1 hour; cool in pan.
Make chocolate filling by combining the chocolate and butter in a medium bowl; stir in the sifted icing sugar.  Cool filling to room temperature, and beat with a wooden spoon until thick and spreadable.
Split cake into 3 layers.  Reserve about 1 cup of chocolate filling.  Place one cake layer onto serving plate, spread thinly with some of remaining filling; repeat layering with remaining cake layers and filling.  Spread reserved filling all over cake.  Refrigerate 3 hours before serving.

I made the cake on Friday - which made for a super-stress-free Saturday.  It did feel a little dry on Saturday though, but today moist again.  Weird.  And my icing is far more set than the picture in the book.  The whole thing was really hard to slice (all that icing...) but all that icing also makes it quite rich.  It apparently serves 8-10, and there were 8 people present.  I knew one wouldn't be having any and another would only have a tiny bit, but there was still a lot of leftover cake.  The thing about buttermilk though, is that it only comes in 600mL cartons.  So I still have just over 400mL of buttermilk... and a recipe for blueberry pancakes...and one for orange syrup cake... this could be dangerous.  I'm trying to find slightly more forgiving outfits for this week!

Today's photo:

Like yesterday, I ate breakfast in the armchair by the courtyard.  The basil grows right next to that part of window, and the light was shining through the leaves.  I wasn't sure how it would turn out, with a whole lot of backlight, but the result I rather like, better than I thought it would look.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my stars! That chocolate cake looks so delicious!! I love layer cakes - they always look like a lot of effort went into them but it's actually not that complicated. I wish I could have helped out with the leftovers :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It *was* pretty yummy! I was so nervous doing the layers, did a practice cut and took photos beforehand just to prove it wasn't a disaster beforehand. I wish you could have been around for leftovers (or firsts!) too - but it's great having my brother living on the next corner :)

    ReplyDelete