If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Saturday 16 March 2013

Guinness

I seem to be doing a lot of drinking for someone who has given up alcohol for Lent.  Today, I had my first ever Guinness in honor of St Patrick.  Note that St Patrick's Day now seems to be officially 3 days.

Apart from occasionally donning something green, I don't remember really celebrating this feast day.  I know I look Irish, but I'm not, it's just a trick of genetics.  Plus, the thought of being with a whole lot of rowdy drunk green-clad mostly-not-Irish-either people is just not appealing.  But an actually Irish friend took me to a fairly quiet (in some parts) bar where we waited for the manager to come and pour us a Guinness each, properly.

The main reason I've never tried Guinness before now is that I don't like beer, and I didn't see any reason why I would like Guinness.  I was warned that it's not a pleasant taste, and I predicted I would get about halfway.  I was right - well, I got a bit further than halfway, but not by much.  It was much more drinkable that I imagined it would be.  I can actually see myself drinking this again, which is really saying something!  Plus, you have to appreciate getting some B vitamins and iron with your alcoholic beverage.

No comments:

Post a Comment