If You Always Do What You've Always Done...Then You'll Always Get What You Always Got

Sunday 17 March 2013

More Healthy Fudge

On Monday, I did a post on healthy chocolate fudge.  I had a mega chocolate craving on Friday evening, and I was all out of the raw brownies.  No sugar for Lent (and a general goal of no packet chocolate this year if at all possible) meant I would be stuck just imagining chocolate.  Then, I remembered a) I had yoghurt and cocoa, so there was a quick fix, and b) the healthy chocolate fudge recipe suggested some substitutions, one of them being just normal butter instead of coconut oil.  Hmmm.  I figured, if you could substitute regular butter, surely you could use peanut butter?

I have to be very careful when giving up chocolate that I don't compensate with peanut butter.  And vice versa.  I was getting rather tired of eating nuts and avocado for my good fat portions, and so I tried a 'just nuts' peanut butter.  The price is enough to make me good and not eat huge quantities all at once.  Having been really good, I then looked further, and found a tub (!) of organic 100% nuts peanut butter.  I have to admit that I am still rather generous in portion size.  However, this was perfect for a peanut butter substitution in fudge!  So, this week's fudge:

In a mini chopper, blend 1/2 cup 100% nuts peanut butter, 1/2 cup cacao, 1/3 cup honey, and about a 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.  Line a loaf tin with baking paper, transfer the fudge (it formed a ball of dough quite quickly), fold the sides of baking paper over the fudge, and squish until you have a fairly consistent 1/2 inch thickness.  Transfer to fridge or freezer until set. 

Normally, I wouldn't have posted another food item so soon, especially not one so similar, but this is too good not to share!  Just a small amount (2 x 1.5cm squares) is really satisfying, super chocolate-y, just sweet enough, and so fudge-y it's delightful.  Plus, this batch was way more successful than the last lot.  Thanks to the baking paper tip, I don't have to pick small bits of plastic out before I eat.  And I think using the quite thick consistency of peanut butter instead of the rather liquid coconut oil made all the difference in the general ease of making this batch - it formed a dough quickly, it was far less messy to transfer, and it doesn't attach itself to anything and everything.  Reducing the amount of honey was handy, too - the last batch was ridiculously sweet, but I don't feel I'm about to succumb to a sugar coma with this.  It was also amazingly quick to make.  It took longer to assemble the ingredients and measure them than it did to blend and transfer and squish.  Big win, especially late on a Friday night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment